In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ONE TRIGGER PULL 2 SHOTS

darticusdarticus Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
ONE TRIGGER PULL 2 SHOTS
I just had a double shot happened today twice. I was shooting a High Standard Supermatic. This was the first time it happened. Any one know was it me or ammo or clip or what? Thanks All Ron

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part that is supposed to hold the hammer at full cock, when the slide goes into battery is called the sear.

Target pistols like your Supermatic are purposely made with minimal sear/hammer engagement. To get the lightest trigger pull possible.

First thing to do would be to field strip it, and clean the innards of all the .22 dirt and fouling. Use a aerosol cleaner, then blow it out with compressed air.

If it still malfunctions take it to a competent High Standard gunsmith, to fix the problem. It might be any combination of sear, sear spring, disconnector or hammer engagement causing the problem.

As the original High Standard company that made the pistol, has been out of business for almost 30 years. Make sure if you have to take it to a gunsmith, he is knowledgeable on H-S's.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not at all familiar with the Supermatic, but can say with confidence it wasn't you, the magazine nor the ammo.
    There's something wrong with the gun and you need to stop shooting it until properly repaired. There are any number of rabid fanatics who might report you for having an unlicensed automatic weapon. An enjoyable afternoon with your High Standard should not end in jail time.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a Lady that had such a light trigger touch she could make all sorts of autoloaders double with regularity. A hard as I'd try with the same gun I could never get them to do it.

+1 for properly cleaned and lubed. Those were nice pistols and deserve the services of a competent gunsmith.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Rufe...nailed it...mine did it during a competition and hurt the guy with the timer...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the rear of the frame just under the rear sight
    The higher end High standard pistols have an adjustable trigger pull screw . This is a forked pin on one end an a flat point on the other
    There is a second part that is a screw with screw driver slot on one end and a v shaped slot on the other if you turn this screw in it will detent every 180 degrees and increase the trigger pull .Also take the left grip off then you will see a plate held on with a screw . This covers a Pull bar that will trip the sear The pull bar has a pin that goes in the trigger itself . If the trigger itself is gold in color
    This can cause Galvanic action and pull rod binds in the trigger Use KROIL on the trigger and pull bar then make sure cover plate screw is tight. " Praise The Hard Ball Gun" oh wait this is a 22lr.[:0] but it is good training for that magic HARD BALL gun.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The higher end High standard pistols have an adjustable trigger pull screw . This is a forked pin on one end an a flat point on the other
    There is a second part that is a screw with screw driver slot on one end and a v shaped slot on the other if you turn this screw in it will detent every 180 degrees and increase the trigger pull .Also take the left grip off then you will see a plate held on with a screw . This covers a Pull bar that will trip the sear The pull bar has a pin that goes in the trigger itself . If the trigger itself is gold in color
    This can cause Galvanic action and pull rod binds in the trigger Use KROIL on the trigger and pull bar then make sure cover plate screw is tight. " Praise The Hard Ball Gun" oh wait this is a 22lr.[:0] but it is good training for that magic HARD BALL gun.

Sear adjustment, parts 52 and 53. Sear bar is part 38.
    http://stevespages.com/ipb-histandard-supermatictrophy.html
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

Actually there is a hard ball cartridge made for High Standard pistols. Cartridge, Ball, Caliber .22 Long Rifle, M24. made for the U.S.A. MODEL H-D MS. That pistol model is still in service with the CIA and the USMC.