In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti Cattleman Binding in Half Cock

0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
I don't know what I did, maybe resetting the trigger too fast?
But it seems to get stuck in half cock, and I have to play with the trigger and hammer a bit to get it in full cock then release. Haven't had any problems with it until now. Its a new model (double latch pin) if that's any help

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Now its not locking up properly, cylinder rotates freely. Pretty sure something is broken internally.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd start by checking the spring on the hand which rotates the cylinder to see if it's broken, it attaches to the hammer. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mite be the cylinder stop spring. hold it up to the light and see if the cylinder stop is down. bet it is. simple fix AND I think the Colt SAA part WILL fit it (better quality). good luck
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I think rmill might be right. The cylinder will only rotate freely when the stop is not engaged.

Uberti SAA's had a problem with early failure of the cylinder stop spring, some in as little as 400 cycles. I cured this in my Uberti's by installing Colt stop springs. The Colt springs do not have a saw cut between the trigger and stop leafs that go all the way through to the screw hole, spreading the stress across the widest part of the spring instead of focusing it into the narrowest part.

I believe that Uberti has since changed their spring design to the same as that used by Colt.

BTW, I bought an Uberti on the auction side that arrived with the action frozen (would not cock), because the cylinder pin was not seated all the way into the rear of the frame, causing cylinder misalignment. Check everything.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolff makes a wire bolt/trigger spring as a replacement for the original leaf spring, so you have yet another alternative. But, yes, it does sound as if that is your problem. I have two Ubertis and two Piettas and both occasionally suffer that spring failure. Of course, my wife and I put a LOT of cycles on these guns as we are heavily into Cowboy Fast Draw and our guns get LOTS of cycling. [:D] I just buy several springs at a time and keep them in my shooting case. It takes only a couple of minutes to swap them out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'll probably be installing the colt springs.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Youtube has some decent videos:

Replacing broken bolt spring on a Colt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-lAAtBMaU

Search Uberti Cattleman on there and you will get some detailed disassembly vids and customizing vids.

Used those videos to complete dissassemble my Cattleman.

Customizing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG6-ZiBHEBQ

Tip - invest in a set of gunsmithing screw drivers. Also if you remove the hammer to polish it as seen in the last Customizing video be very careful with that tiny screw and spring. I just lost the screw on mine requiring me to spend $40 for a new screw set.
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1873-cattleman-screw-kit.html

Here's a Uberti bolt spring that broke:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRrPhqQendY
  • Options
    wulfmanwulfman Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    midway has a set of driver bits for rugers
    tip: if frame screws are really tight, I found that a well fit bit in a 1/4" impact driver with frame in a vice gets them out easy (don't whale on it!)
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cylinder locking bolts and trigger/ cyl lock bolt spring are SAA weak points and do break. Remove the backstrap and trigger guard to check the action of these parts.
    Replacing the spring with a wire one will not beat up cylinder notches
    and be more reliable.
    Rounding and polishing the square cuts at bases of the spring and locking bolt cuts will reduce stress concentration points and improve reliability of the parts.
    Cylinder locking bolts need to be carefully stoned to achieve correct timing.
    They are not drop-in parts.