In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just how fast are you?

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
For our edification and enjoyment:

16 shots in 4 seconds... from a revolver!

I thought you all would enjoy watching this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0FbUMqoyjDw

I wish I had his talent...

Best.

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice. . .thanks for posting that.

Recoil of a 9mm luger out of a N-frame revolver with compensator is negligible, partly explaining the fast shooting time here. (With the other 98% of it being Miculek's ungodly skill! [;)] ).

Also titanium cylinder is designed to lower cylinder inertia for a faster DA pull.

Personally speaking, I've been looking for a nice high quality "plinker" revolver in 9mm luger for a long time, but at $1000 (+)? and on the large frame, this one is pretty clearly aimed at serious competitors.

Smith is supposed (or maybe already has) come out with a 9mm version of its 686 L-frame revolver, and that might be a bit more suitable for a more "casual" shooter.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In super slo-mo you can detect some wasted motion/time, but I don't think it would mkae a 1/10th of a second difference.

Makes 12 rounds in 20 seconds from old PPC shoots look pretty lame.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jerry is the best, and most likely the reason they even have a revolver class in the action shooting. Yes, the auto guys were bitching, that this revolver guy was out running their auto's. Yes his revolver is built for specific reason, but nothing that hasn't been in the playing deck in the past 10 years for custom builds.

Don't think a 38 special round run thru a compensated barrel is going to have any more recoil, than a 9mm either. The only reason Jerry specified this gun build in 9mm, was for the weight forward properties of the 147gr 9mm load, for faster reloads. The Titanium cylinder has been in use for years, and yes, it takes less energy to get it started in motion double action.

In short, I think this video is more of an example of Jerry's incredible talent, than a testament to revolver building/smithing. At 63 years young, he has set the bar, real high, and only God knows how many 1000's of rounds he has spent in those hears.

Thanks nononsense for sharing that!

EDIT 1

Just imagine...being a resident area burglar in Jerry's town...I am betting they know which exact house they do not want to go to. It would be kind of hard to out run that...just saying.

Best
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The only reason Jerry specified this gun build in 9mm, was for the weight forward properties of the 147gr 9mm load, for faster reloads.I'd guess the fact that the 9X19 uses a relatively short and slightly tapered case also has something to do with his choice.

Less chamber drag than the .38 Spl's longer, board straight case wall.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is just a impressive shooter no doubt .
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    WOW !!!!!!!!! I don't think I could pull the trigger that fast , let alone hit the target, Very impressive
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    The man is in a class of his own. Makes the wheelgun GO!
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the pleasure of meeting him Friday at the NRA convention very nice guy he is also the reason why I have so many moon clip guns