In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Use .311 bullets in a .308??

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
Title says it all. I just got a lot of .311 bullets.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest a swaging die to narrow them down the .003" or shoot them in one of those Ruger barrels set-up for .311".
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with moderate loads and you won't know the difference.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    If they're cast bullets, go ahead. Won't hurt anything.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    There was just a whole thread on this very topic:

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=629916

Bottom line, its not optimal, but as a matter of practice, people do this all the time.

Assuming the gun and loads are otherwise OK, another 0.03" isn't going to "blow up" your gun. I think you'll probably see some decrement in potential accuracy, and you may (or may not) see slightly increased wear to your barrel, but that's about it.

If you're really worried about this, just think of it as an excuse to get another rifle! [;)]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy

"Got alot of .311 bullets" - assume that means you're reloading, putting them into a case neck sized for a .308 bullet? Hopefully they're boat tails .....[;)]

I'd be curious to know how the reloading goes. I have a CZ 527, it uses .311 sized bullets. But, I'm thinking of getting a T/C Encore barrel and pretty much every maker does .308.

I don't think the increased case neck tension or "barrel as bullet swager" will cause problems, but I'd wonder if reloading them becomes kind of a PITA.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a lot of Remington 32-20 SP bullets from a 6"- 30 Luger with no high pressure indications.
    In the beginning I used a Lee bullet sizer to reduce bullets to 308 but found it didn't make any discernible difference.
    The Lee sizer made easy work of sizing the 100 gr bullets.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you mention .311 and .308, I assume you are dealing with a rifle. Most modern .308 bolt guns operate with pressures around 45.000PSI, so do .311 rifles. Some pressures are higher.
    If your bore is a true .308, I would not do it. You are asking for trouble.