In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever heard of Newmann Brothers shotgun?

chuckjbchuckjb Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
12 gauge, Damascus barrel, dual hammers on top, 30 In barrel, w/ writings, numbers, crowns & stars on bottom of barrel. Can't find info on it anywhere. Thanks!

Comments

• nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Find the "ELG" on the barrel flats. You have an inexpensive Belgian gun made sometime between c.1895 and WW1. It sold for about $10.00 then, but hasn't kept up with inflation rates. Value today is about $150.00 and it's a mantle queen.

Nord
  • denise0704denise0704 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone else have info on this old shotgun or is it still just a mantle queen? [:(] My husband thought he had made a real find!!! His has the same markings as the original question asked in 2002!

Thanks,
    denise0704
  • rlnblkrlnblk Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother just picked one up at a local show paid $125 he plans to hang it over the mantle.
  • music_madnessmusic_madness Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shoot mine![:o)] but only with my own BLACK POWDER reloads[:p]. whoo-hoo! mine's a slightly better than the adverage grade, and locks up tight as a drum, no buldges, rust, or de-laminations...shoots good! your milage may vary [B)]. if in doubt DO NOT shoot it [xx(]. get it checked by a REAL gunsmith or better yet find an old cresent with armor steel (nitro approved) barrels as a shooter. when in doubt ere' to the side of caution!
    PEACE
    tom

..."we're from Pickens; we don't know no better"...
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Any shotgun with Damascus barrels should be considered a blackpowder only gun. And, considering that most of these guns are 100+ years old and that many of them were inexpensive shotguns to start with, they probably shouldn't be shot at all!

Anyone considering firing a Damascus barreled shotgun should have it checked out by an experienced gunsmith, and if he says it's OK to fire it, use low powered blackpowder loads ONLY.

I've gotta agree with music madness on those old Crescents. You can pick them up cheap, and for an inexpensive, utility-type shotgun, they were well-made and tough as nails.