In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magazine vs. Clip

hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Everytime (almost) someone refers to a "Clip" instead of using the word "Magazine" they are corrected by someone on the Forum. I am 55 and have heard, and used, the 2 words interchangably all those years. When I had my Gun Shop an old gunsmith (he was 75 then, I was 30+) used clip and Magazine interchangably also. I am always wanting to learn so what is the distinction and why should "clip" not be used to indicate a magazine?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, a clip is what is used to load a magazine. Moon Clips load cylinder magazines, stripper clips load box magazines, and of course the enbloc clip loads the Garand magazine. Most people use the term interchangably and it's pretty much become acceptable to do that (right or wrong). I've always used the term magazine, and it paid off for me when I was in firearms training for law enforcement because the term clip would cost you 20 push-ups. Some guys didn't seem to learn![:D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my though but I consider a Clip an item that holds cartridges by the extractor groove and you use to load these cartridges into the firearm. What comes to mind are the STRIPPER CLIPS to load Springfield and Mauser Rifles also Broom Handle Mauser Pistols . on the other-hand a Magazine Is something that latches into the firearm and holds the entire cartridge until the bolt or slide moves the cartridge into the chamber.A magazine has a spring and Follower surrounds the cartridge front and rear as well as sides .A magazine protects the cartridge. . IMHO Bottom line is slightly NIT PICKING . If you are an old F*** you remember what a "pigeon hole" and later called a "Glove Box" and now just called a Storage Area is.Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Nitpicking here. M1 clip is also part of the magazine (the sidewalls and rear). If it weren't, you would be able to load eight rounds by hand. Best, Joe
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Carcano- you load a CLIP into the magazine. A SMLE uses a CLIP to load the magazine. And forgot the pushups- use the term GUN to a Drill Sgt when referring to a rifle!
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen for your enlightenment! Nit pickin' or not I try to be as correct as possible and will try to abstain from using the terms interchangably any more.... Thanks again!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 95 Steyr also becomes part of the magazine.
    In informal conversation, I use the terms clips and magazines interchangeably and likewise call all firearms guns.
    Being that language changes from the bottom up,current dictionaries
    consider interchangeability of these terms legitimate.
    In the Army ,I felt using the term "weapon" for small arms (not short arms) pretentious and corny.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Mooseyard and perry shooter have it pretty well covered, but mis-naming an object is not nit picking. It's mis-naming.

Some guys call a cartridge a bullet, but a bullet is only a part of a cartridge. If you call Midway and order some bullets you don't get a cartridge case (or brass), primer, or powder charge. You just get a BULLET.

Yea, givette, an M-1 enbloc clip is PART of the magazine but it's NOT a magazine. Same as a spring, follower, base or bottom or floor plate.

Mooseyard's remark about the 20 push-ups is like mine about the Marine Corps drill instuctor with his face 3 inches in front of a 17 year-old in boot camp screaming about how stupid he is about not knowing the difference between a clip and a magazine, and making him
    run around the field with his M1 over his head. All 64 members of the platoon learn this and NEVER call a clip a magazine!

11b6r - I was going to say this about calling a rifle or pistol a GUN! I saw a drill sgt. have a guy hold his M1 over his head with one hand a grab his crotch with the other saying "This is my rifle and this is my gun. This is for shooting and this is for fun."

Added: If a guy goes into a firearms store and refers to a magazine as a clip - the seller gets the idea he's a novice and knows little about firearms. The seller then knows he can sell him a $500 rifle for $650, also a $75 case, a sling, 5 boxes of bullets (ooops, I meant cartridges. I'm not very smart!), cleaning kit, reloading gear, and more.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hslaterpryce,

Simple repetition of the improper use of terms is no excuse to accept the mistakes. The media has used this ploy quite successfully AGAINST the firearms owners in America. It's wrong when they do it and it's wrong when we allow it to happen amongst ourselves. Proper use of correct terms is paramount to accurate communication.

This is a link to a recent discussion involving definitions for the two terms. It contains photographs illustrating the difference as well as links to other references for definitions:

http://forums.forthehunt.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=315744

Best.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r
    this is my rifle this is my gun this ones for shooting this ones for fun. lol

oops didnt see that already posted. sorry
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Magazines may be detachable, but they're designed as part of the firearm and must be present for the firearm to function correctly.

A clip is a device for carrying a predetermined amount of ammunition for loading a magazine or in some cases inserted into the magazine along with the ammunition, but it's not a part of the firearm itself.