In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JC Higgins .22

mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a bolt action JC Higgins / Sears Roebuck .22 lr that I got from my grandpa after he passed away several years ago. It is a model 103.18 and according to the sticky above, it is a Marlin model 100. As far as I know he bought it new. Does anyone know roughly when it was made? I could not find any kind a serial number, but it is labled as follows

JC Higgins - Model 103.18 - 22cal
Sears Roebuck & Company - SL & LR

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    jax18421jax18421 Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am reasoning that Marlin would have made the rifle for Sears around the same time they made the Model 100 with their own name on it. From what I can determine this was between 1936-1941 from the Blue Book of Gun Values.
    jax18421
    Paul
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, FWIW, rifles and shotguns were not required to have serial numbers until the 1968 Gun Control Act, so many did not.
  • Options
    RounderRickRounderRick Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mot24 - The Marlins sold by Sears before WW2 used the "Ranger" trade name. After the war they dropped the Ranger and included rifles under the J.C.Higgins trade name. The vendor code "103" indicated Marlin as the manufacturer. The Model 100 Marlin was made from 1935-59, but we've established yours is post-war. The only significant change for the Model 100 during the 1946-59 period was a switch to "Microgroove" rifling in 1954. I'm not even sure the private brands saw that change. I have a 103.18, and it's as accurate and well made as my other 100's, although the lumber is a lesser grade. GoodLuck - RounderRick
  • Options
    mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I have always wondered if he got it before or after the war. I guess this answers that question.