In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Screw Help

youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Model 700. It's a .223 heavy barrel, I want to put a scope on it. I have the scope and know what type of rings I want to use, but they show the same ring that says nothing about screws and another that states 8x40 screws. Is there a simple answer to what ring to get with out taking out the screws in the gun and taking them to be sized ? Thank You

P.S. The gun only says model 700 it was bought used so I don't know if it's a BDL,CDL,VSF,VLS or what.

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    You will need a base to attach to the receiver then the rings attach to the base. When you buy the base for a 700, it will have the correct screws with it. Just be sure to specify short or long action when getting the base.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by youngsparkey
    I have a Remington Model 700. It's a .223 heavy barrel, I want to put a scope on it. I have the scope and know what type of rings I want to use, but they show the same ring that says nothing about screws and another that states 8x40 screws. Is there a simple answer to what ring to get with out taking out the screws in the gun and taking them to be sized ? Thank You

P.S. The gun only says model 700 it was bought used so I don't know if it's a BDL,CDL,VSF,VLS or what.

Scope base screws tend to be the same size, thank God the folks who make computers didn't get their hands on guns (I'm sorry, you need Remington gen 1 screws, we have only Savage gen 2 screws) so things are fairly standardized.

There are a couple different ways to go. First, do you want a one piece base or a two piece base? A one piece is (supposedly) stronger but I use the two piece, looks better. I have them on rifles up to 458 Win Mag and they work perfectly. FYI - if you get two piece mounts for a Rem 700 you don't have to be concerned about short/long action. One (2 piece) size fits all.

Next choice to make is "weaver" type or "turn in" type base. The weaver has cross slots that mate to the weaver type rings, weaver rings/bases are usually not windage adjustable. Turn in rings/bases usually have a stud turn in base up front and a horizontal screw base windage adjustable rear. The windage adjustable rear can be helpful in sighting in your scope.

A one piece weaver base can be used with various weaver mounts/rings and probably gives the most mounting options.

You might want to check out Midway and look through the various rings and bases, it's not a bad place to get some info.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are speaking of BASE screws,..the standard remington is 6x24. They are tapped out to 8x40 for large recoiling rifles or benchrest rifles when the action work is done.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure Justin meant 6-48 [B)]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,994 ******
    edited November -1
    "the standard remington is 6x24."... your just a little short, should be 6x48
  • Options
    youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going with a Tally one piece ring system.(ring and base are one piece for the front and one piece for the back)
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good choice, good solid ring/base system.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    I'm pretty sure Justin meant 6-48 [B)]

right you are[B)]