In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 Largo

ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have one of those Spanish S&W copies that is stamped on the barrel .38 Largo. What kind of ammo can I shoot in it?
Thanks, Tom[?]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful that is their designation for the old low pressure .38 Long Colt cartridge.

Only shoot standard velocity .38 special loads in it. Given the quality of the materials and workmanship of most of those old Spanish revolvers, it's unwise to shoot anything in them until you have a gunsmith check lock-up, timing and test fire for function/safety. My 2?.
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Be careful that is their designation for the old low pressure .38 Long Colt cartridge.

Only shoot standard velocity .38 special loads in it.

It is safe to fire the 38 Long Colt cartridge in the 38 special chambered pistol, but not 38 specials in the 38 long colt pistol. IF it does turn out to be 38 special chambered, stick to lead round nose ammo or wadcutters and definitely NO +p or +P+ ammo.

Black Hills makes 38 Long Colt.
    Rufe-Snow is right about getting it checked- definitely have it checked before shooting it to determine the safety of the piece. Some spanish guns are good quality and others were terrible.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC (am on the road, my references are at home) the .38 Largo (Spanish for Long) was a BLACK POWDER load. VERY mild 38 special loads should be OK for a revolver in good working order. The original .38 Special was a black powder cartridge. A wadcutter midrange target laod should be OK- would not tempt fate with a warm or hot jacketed HP load. +ps are definitely not a good idea.