In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

264 Winchester

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Just idle curiosity here. I just purchased a Savage model 110. I really like the rifle,especially the price they can be bought for[:D]Question is this; Would this action make a good base for a 264 Winchester conversion??. I just get these yearnings for odd ball or orphan calibers.

Comments

• Options
    pkuptruckpkuptruck Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Orphan? Heck, its a gas! Forget those silly little mini-magnums!

I was brought up on an an old Re. 700 in 264 Win Mag. and
    still shoot the bugger! It loves the 139-140 grain pills, and
    if Idon't screw it up.... it does quite nicely!

Heck, it even got me interested in the 6.5x55 cartridge...

Savage makes a heck of a firearm, and the "conversion" (if I
    assume correctly....) should be fairly straightforward and
    relatively painless!

Good Luck, and I know you'll love it!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the chambering on the 110 now? If nothing else, would make a difference as to how inexpensive a project this might be. If already chambered for one of the belted magnums it could be as easy as a barrel swap. If one of the '06 base numbers, you'd have to have the bolt face openned up and maybe some work on the feed rails.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rob its still in the planning stages. Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If you decide to do that just buy a new bolt head for the magnum and use it as a switch barrel for something different..........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mrbruce,
    Wow. Never occurred to me. Don't recall seeing the ease of swapping bolt heads mentionned , but it seems like a huge plus for the Savage when it comes to changing chamberings.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys this project sounds better all the time. My idea is to scout the pawns shops and gun stores for a neglected model 110.Change bolt head and re-barrel with a premium(stainless steel???) barrel,chamber for 264 and restock with a nice piece of wood. Sound reasonable???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Damn, now you've got me thinking;
    Haven't had a 110 yet, but it may be time. Either that or a new Marlin XL7.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pkuptruck
    Orphan? Heck, its a gas!

Could not have said it better.

264 Win. is plenty good medicine on everything from p-dogs up through elk. If the oppurtunity were to present itself, I would use mine on moose.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the Savage would not be my first, or second choice, but that is personal preference. It seems to me that Ruger 77s, Rem 700s, Winchester 70s, and Browning A-bolts, could all be relatively inexpensive candidates for the project, if they were 300 Win Mags, 7mm Rem Mags, or probably 338 Win Mags to begin with. Perhaps Weatherby mags could be candidates as well.

I would think at least a 25 or 26 inch barrel would be in order, to optimize the potential of the big, overbore case. The 264 is potent medicine, if configured properly.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 26" tube,I've got a model 70 classic in 264 with 26" barrel and love it. I've had other 264s with shorter barrels, and none shot as well as this one.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Definitly planning on the 26" barrel,Savage is what I' thinkin because they seem plentiful and reasonable in this area