In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 842 Bolt Action 30-30 Carbine??

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Excellent bore, good metal and decent stock. "Westpoint" stamped on barrel.

Drilled and tapped on side of receiver for side scope mount. Detachable magazine.

Any ideas what years these were made and an approximate value?

Thanks, Don

Comments

• Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw one at the pawn shop a couple weeks ago with scope,looked pretty nice $325
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not familiar with an 842, Savage bolt action, detachable mag, in 30-30 that I'm familiar with was the 340. The 342 was a 340 in .22 Hornet while the 325C was the Stevens version of the same model. I suspect you have a Savage 340 made for one of the private labels and marked with their designation.

If so, the Savage 340 was manufactured as the Stevens 325 or 322 from 1947 to 1950; the Savage 340 from 1950 to 1985. I would think value would be modest, $200 to $300 depending on condition.

Dan R
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The previous poster was corect in saying that your rifle is a Savage 340 series made for an off brand vendor. The Savae 340 is an excellent rifle that is more accurate than it has a right to be for it's price. They have had a consistent value increase on gunbroker over the past few years....$300+ is the current average price in good condition. If yours has checkering and was made with the factory recessed stock for the side scope mount, it will sell better than the more common carbine and older plain stock models.