In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for answer Colt Navy Revolver

machonyamachonya Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi experts-

I have recently come across a Colt black powder revolver and I am trying to find out what exactly it is- It belonged to an older gent who once told me that it had been in his collection for about 45 years- it is marked address col sam_L colt new york us america on top of the 7 1/2" octagon barrel- serial number is 166756- has a brass trigger guard- wood grips- anyone know what it is or how old it may be? any information as always is much appreciated- The gun is in remarkable condition so I am wondering if it is really 100 plus year old
thank you

JC

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures would help if it is possible!

With the limited information it sounds like a Forth Model 1851 Navy and with serial number 166756 the barrel address is correct for that period gun.

Is the trigger guard rounded or squareback?

What rolled cylinder scene does it have? I believe it should be the Naval Engagement Scene including the date 16 May 1843.

What are all the markings and stamps on the gun and where are they located?

Truthfully, without more information or pictures this is all speculation.

EDIT:

Machonya, duckhunter is right about the timeframe for copies and reissues. However, the markings you are finding sound like one of the originals, but I'll need to check some other references tomorrow.

Can you possibly take some high resolution pictures and post them here?

By the way, this thread will be locked shortly after the 10th post.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45 yeas ago would get into the Italy copies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    crowders#100007has a naval scene but it is very faint- it has a rounded trigger guard- says colts patent no (with last four of s/n)on the cylinder - colts patent on left side of receiver below cylinder- 36 cal on brass left side behind / above trigger- has matching s/n on bottom of trigger guard and on bottom of receiver in two spots in front of trigger guard- also on butt of gun- no number on the wedge- and no other numbers that I see- I don't see any other stamps or marks on the gun-
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://gallery.me.com/crowders#100007

sorry but i guess I'm not capable of posting the photos? i even read the directions but -- you can cut and paste the url for the album they are up and working-

Thank you' JC
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use one of the sites listed to put you photos on. Or Photobucket.com That is the reason you cannot post photos.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
    edited November -1
    That's a nice, original 4th Model 1851 Colt Navy. The rear sight was a later add-on but it's in very nice condition. There should also be a serial number on the top of the loading lever and the cylinder arbor (the shaft holding the cylinder onto the gun).

Wedges were commonly lost so if it isn't numbered, it's a replacement but no big deal. Nice find!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    A Nice Find........