In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 Carbine Brass Questions

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Finally getting ready to reload in this caliber for the first time.

Are the primer pockets crimped? I suspect not since the old primers came out easy.

Do I need to reduce the loads like for 5.56 brass?

Are 1944 headstamps worth setting aside? Have a couple of them.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will know when you try and put in the new primers. What does your load data say for brass used. It never hurts to start on the lower end and work up. It has beeen many years but I think this is a no roll crimp cartridge.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Typically only WCC (Western Cartridge Co) and WRA (Winchester Repeating Arms) cases have crimped primers, although LC (lake City) cases have been observed with crimps. The loading of .30 Carbine ammo was discontinued in 1956 when the the M1/M2 Carbines were slated to be replaced by the M14 service rifle. When stocks of Carbine ammo were depleted, loading resumed in 1967 with Lake City producing Carbine ammo for issue to the puppet troops of our Saigon Stooge government.