In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Paul Jaeger's Stockmaker

johnpar2johnpar2 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to identify a stockmaker that worked with Paul Jaeger of Jenkinstown, PA in the 1940s & 50s and possibly later. The initials "FRV" and date made are stamped into the butt under the buttplate. I've run across many references to the beautiful stocks made by "FRV" but have never seen his actual name mentioned. I would greatly appreciate any information on identifying the name and history of this fine stock maker. Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a Paul Jaeger rifle on {elsewhere} , it's a 1917 Enfield or was . That fellow did some beautiful work !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Jaeger shop did turn out beautiful work! I'm sure he used a number of stockmakers, Hal Hartley was one of them and produced some gorgeous stocks. I recently saw a 7x57 mannlicher stocked in tiger stripped maple, man what a beauty!
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be Fritz Voigt. For more information on Jaeger see the August 2011 issue of precision shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MP that's it, many thanks! I just searched his name and found the expired listing for the 1917 mentioned by oneoldsap. Also found that Dietrich Apel managed the shop after Jaeger's death and now runs New England Custom Guns. Small world, eh? Thanks for the info guys, truly appreciated! Now I've gotta get a copy of Precision Shooting, let my subscription expire last year dangit.