In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mauser 48

donora dragondonora dragon Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between the surplus Model 48 and the Model 48A Yugoslavian Mauser 98 type system rifles that are offered for sale these days?Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I WAS WONDERING HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS CONVERTED A 98 & 48 TO WSM? HOW MUCH WORK IS THERE? I WILL DO THE WORK MYSELF. WILL IT FEED SMOOTH?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I have done this once, feeding is a issue (forget the ssm's). If you want a .30 cal. go with the standard .300 win. mag.; easyer to work with and the same preformance.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    donora dragon,

"I WILL DO THE WORK MYSELF."

No disrespect intended but do you have any gunsmithing knowledge and experience besides the most basic? This is not like screwing on some scope bases or switching some parts in an AR15. If you don't have quite a bit of conversion experience then I would tell you to pass up this project as you will just ruin another Mauser that someone else could put to good use.

Brief overview:

Open boltface.

Fit extractor.

Design and fabricate a new box.

Design and fabricate a new follower.

Open feed rails, adjust for feeding.

Open/adjust feed ramp.

Thread, fit, chamber and headspace a new barrel.

Fit and adjust ejector.

I'm sure that some of the cobblers will come along with some remarks that advocate jury-rigging parts to avoid the real fitting for proper function but that should be avoided at all cost. Do it properly or skip this in favor of a more simple project.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the reply. it is a big job.