In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hog Cal.

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Not yet being a hog hunter, please give me your opinion of the following: Assume 100 yds. or less.

1---444 Marlin
2---350 Rem mag
3---30-30
4---338 RCM
5---308 Win.

Any others?

THX Hawkshaw

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your list is fine. Bullet selection and placement are the important feature. Use your favorite hunting rifle and have fun.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All will work fine but try to keep from them head on shots.[:D]
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I have killed hogs with:
    30-30
    7mm-08
    30-06
    BUT the best one I have found is a 35 Remington in the Marlin 336 loaded with 38 gr of Varget and a 220 gr SP.
    It takes on prisoners!!!![;)]
    If you chose a lesser caliber use a heavy for caliber tough bullet!!!!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess 10mm or bigger.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

At our hunting camp, the majority of hogs are dispatched with 30-06, 270 Winchester, 30-30, and 7mm-08 - probably in that order. From what I have observed, it is not so much a question of caliber, but in the accuracy of the shooter to place the bullet into the vitals. A hog doesn't really require a big-bore or monster magnum, because non-magnum calibers in the 7mm to 30 caliber range work well.

Personally, I use a 30-06 using 165 grain Sierra soft-point boat tails and about 58 grains of H4350.

Some of the hunters who drive dogs into the brush and cane to flush the hogs out have done well with pistols including the 45 Colt and 44 Magnum.

Good luck on your hog hunt.

Heavyiron
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    I have killed hogs with:
    30-30
    7mm-08
    30-06
    BUT the best one I have found is a 35 Remington in the Marlin 336 loaded with 44 gr of Varget and a 220 gr SP.

Jim,

I hope you mistyped. The .35 Remington is a stumpy little thing. IMR lists charges with varget from 34 grains starting to 38 max with a 220 grainer. I doubt that you could get 44 grains of Varget into it, but if you somehow did I surely wouldn't want to be behind the trigger, especially on a lever action.

As to the question, while all of the choices on your list are fine, I'd be a little leery of the 30/30 unless hunting from a tree stand. Hogs can be mean and if I'm on the ground I'd not want to face one with just a 30/30. The others should all be fine though.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 223 during the day.

Suppressed 300 Whisper at night.

CP
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    I have killed hogs with:
    30-30
    7mm-08
    30-06
    BUT the best one I have found is a 35 Remington in the Marlin 336 loaded with 44 gr of Varget and a 220 gr SP.

Jim,

I hope you mistyped. The .35 Remington is a stumpy little thing. IMR lists charges with varget from 34 grains starting to 38 max with a 220 grainer. I doubt that you could get 44 grains of Varget into it, but if you somehow did I surely wouldn't want to be behind the trigger, especially on a lever action.

As to the question, while all of the choices on your list are fine, I'd be a little leery of the 30/30 unless hunting from a tree stand. Hogs can be mean and if I'm on the ground I'd not want to face one with just a 30/30. The others should all be fine though.

THANK YOU![:I]
    I had a 'brain fart'. It is 38 gr. I fixed it![;)]
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knowing a hog's anatomy is just as important as caliber and shot placement. They have places of built in armor. I've seen a 200lb boar knocked out by a .44mag rifle round bouncing off his forehead, and the next day a 350 sow dropped with a .22lr shot to the spine.
    Like Jonk said, you don't want to be close to a pizzed off hog in close quarters and/or heavy brush. A short barrel, large caliber handgun is always a good thing to have handy.[:)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was watching that Hog Hunting show with that dark haired chick with pink chaps on A&E. On this show they were popping them off with a SAA. Which was cool.

As for .44Mags bouncing off the pig's head it's all about shot placement. Also they got a bit of neck gristle that's pretty tough.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote: Hogs can be mean and if I'm on the ground I'd not want to face one with just a 30/30.

"just" a 30/30?
    must be bigger hogs than we see here. or much longer distances.
    just nailed two on my BIL ranch in texas. less than 100 yards, less than 200 pounds. .222 in the ear on one, 243 on the other. the bigger one wasn't going anywhere, but needed a second kill shot when we got close.
    i think my winchester 94 would have ended the second one with one shot.
    i could be wrong, i'm not much of a hunter.........[B)]

tom