In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW1 Helmet Expert

odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Buddy at work has a US WW1 helmet, pretty good shape. Looks just like the ones on Ebay that go for $700-$1000...... but it also looks like the ones that go for $70-$100. OK, I know you wanna see pictures but can anyone tell me why there is so much differance in price.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More then likely it's a case of original W W I helmets going for the big money. The latter issued and used ones from the early years of W W II that are more common, going for the lessor price.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Also be aware that British "Tommy" helmets are often mistaken for WWI US "Doughboy" helmets. Be sure of what you're getting!
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Condition is EVERYTHING!

Does it have the suspension system in it?

Does it have any type of "unit designation" or "camouflage" painted on it?

Is the chin strap present?

Each of these items could add as much as $100 to it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW1 helmets were also issued to Civil Defense in the US.
    There may be differences but they looked the same outwardly.
    I think they were painted white with an emblem painted on front.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odentheviking
    Buddy at work has a US WW1 helmet, pretty good shape. Looks just like the ones on Ebay that go for $700-$1000...... but it also looks like the ones that go for $70-$100. OK, I know you wanna see pictures but can anyone tell me why there is so much differance in price.

Typically the higher priced ones have unit markings on them (Rainbow Div, for example) and/or have a WWI "story" (read a person) attached. Remember, there were millions of them made.