In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help date a Belgium Browning

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
I believe my Browning is an older model, but it's serial # does not match the formats provided on the Browning website.

I have a Browning BAR in 30 06. It's barrel is marked, "Made in Belgium". It is not engraved.

Serial number fortmat is 54321M75.

The M is the proper letter, and is properly placed in the sequence.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in 1975. "M" is the model identifier, i.e. BAR. 54321 is the actual serial number.

The reversing of the serial number sequence wasn't total uncommon. I had a Browning .22 Challenger pistol made in 1969 with a similarly reversed serial number. There were a lot of anomalies with serialization during that time frame mid 60's/mid 70's, when Browning was transferring their production from Belgium to other countries.

EDIT #1, U.S. Import law requires the country of origin to be marked on all manufactured goods imported into the U.S. If your BAR is marked Made in Belgium and dated 75, that's where it was made. 1975 must have been very close to the cut-off point, when Browning stopped most of their production in Belgium.
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression, obviously mistaken, that Browning quit making BARs in Belgium in the late '60's, but my "date code" is 75.

Anyone know when they stopped making them in Belgium?
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my bar is the same except it's a 71