In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8ga double barrel?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Has S&W ever made an 8ga double barrel shotgun or has any American maker made one?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No clue but I did see a side by side Greener 3 ga.

"I never thought I would have to shoot threw dirt" Burt Gummer

The 4 bore looks painful on borh ends.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    No to both questions. Smith & Wesson has made only one double (and not really that one), a 20 gauge double made in Turkey and importerd starting in 2007. A 8 gauge is not a shotgun but a small cannon.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith & Wesson double barrelled shotgun, 8 ga or other?
    Not that I know of. As Ned says, they have tried to break into the shotgun business several times with guns from here or there without much success.

Google found an ad for a Lefever 8 ga and there is a youtube video showing a hunter with a Tolley 8 ga, but that is a British make.
    The LC Smith collectors association was surveying for 8 ga Elsies.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Have you ever watched a western called Appalosa? The sidekick in that movie carried an 8gauge, and mentions it several times.
    W.D.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, but it is fiction. You ought to read the books and see the strange things they do with with .45 revolvers.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parker made an 8 gauge, adv. in 1884 catalog of E. C. Meacham, St Louis:

34" barrels, 13 lbs, $110 and 36", 14 lbs, $125.

Or you could buy an imported "Lefaucheux" 8 gauge for $40.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Have you ever watched a western called Appalosa? The sidekick in that movie carried an 8gauge, and mentions it several times.
    W.D.
    That was a non-firing gun made up for the movie.

However, there was a real 8 Ga. used in Tremors. This was a Belgian made William & Moore. Shown alongside a .410 SXS.

DSCN9975.jpg
    shown alongside a .410 SxS.
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before the laws wee passed making anything bigger then a 10-guage illegal there were a lot of big-bore shotguns in America.

I've seen several 8-gauge doubles by American companies. Many of the large bores were single shots. Here is a clip of a friend shooting my 4-Bore ( made in New York).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/?action=view&current=mvc-oo2w.mp4
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:MP Posted - 12/01/2011 : 1:44:16 PM

Before the laws wee passed making anything bigger then a 10-guage illegal there were a lot of big-bore shotguns in America.

I've seen several 8-gauge doubles by American companies. Many of the large bores were single shots. Here is a clip of a friend shooting my 4-Bore ( made in New York).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/?action=view?t=mvc-oo2w.mp4

That's interesting when did that law pass? Also your video wouldn't play.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    No to both questions. Smith & Wesson has made only one double (and not really that one), a 20 gauge double made in Turkey and importerd starting in 2007. A 8 gauge is not a shotgun but a small cannon.

I very much disagree. Parker Bros. made a number of 8-ga SxS guns. I had the pleasure of handling and inspecting a pair of them at one of Little Johns auctions several years ago. Both were P-grade guns, one with 36-inch tubes, the other with 34-inch tubes.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    quote:MP Posted - 12/01/2011 : 1:44:16 PM

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/?action=view?t=mvc-oo2w.mp4

That's interesting when did that law pass? Also your video wouldn't play.

1934... it was part of the migratory bird control act.