In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BLACK STAINS IN BUTT STOCK?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I've seen black stains in butt stocks. It appears this is from rusting butt plate(s). Is this permanent? Tips for removing?
Thx,
ENBLOC

Comments

• DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oxalic acid (wood bleach) works very well but the affected area will require the finish be removed to bare wood before applying the acid, which comes in powdered form to be mixed with water (I prefer hot) Can be obtained at any paint store. Works very well
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen it happen where a stock will get discolored from oil seeping into the wood from over-oiled actions or metal parts as well. It made small patches turn black. I'm guessing that after the wood bleach removes the stains you'll have to refinish the entire stock to get it all the same color, etc.
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you attempt to remove the stain, first determine the cause. Chances are it's the aforementioned oil. People insist on cleaning and oiling, then storing fine rifles butt-down. All that oil is gradually absorbed in the stock, particularly between the receiver and pistol grip.

Another source of said oil is over-oiling semi-auto actions, then shooting enthusiastically. Said action heats up, the oil drips into the stock, and eventually, the stock turns black. Worse, the stock will eventually begin to soften and become ruined.

Using machine oil to oil a stock is equally egregious. Yeah, it's nice and shiny, but there's better ways.

An uncle was an armorer in WWII/Korea, and saw the issue often in M-1 Garands, especially in warmer climates. Their solution was to wrap the offending stock in rags and heavy tarps, and leave them in the hot sun, un-wrapping them periodically and replacing the rags. I recall his saying they learned the trick from the Limeys, since Lee-Enfield stocks were particularly susceptible.

Interesting that some armed forces, back in the day, tried to save money by salvaging damaged items instead of ordering all new parts....but I digress....

I remember reading somewhere on the web that a gunny wrapped his oily stocks in paper towels, wrapped the stock in black trash bags and left it on the dashboard of his truck. That's a pretty good oven, too.

In any case, bleach, alcohol or other surface cleaners merely clean the surface. If it's oil soaked, you need to suck out all that bad stuff.

And yes, I always store my wood-stocked long guns muzzle-down.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whiting, sold by brownells, is very effective for de-oiling wood....JMHO...
    JIM...............
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second the Brownells whiting agent , it's simple and effective !