In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

colt 1917 revolver

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
cannot determine exactly what model im looking at ser#3362xx.my book has 1917 45autos w/5.5in barrels #s ranging from 335000-336000 then picking up again from 336450-337500 with mine falling somewhere inbetween.it has black plastic grips with colt written in tall letters at the top,square butt,no lanyard nor a hole for one.gun is in excellent cond inside and out no muzzle wear or any blemishes i can see.no box or paperwork.can anyone tell exactly model this is,age, and approx value?i am unable to show pics.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a collector but it sure sounds like a 1917 Commercial and your numbers from Blue Book.
    I would not take Blue Book as gospel and would not be surprised at anything Colt did with parts on hand.
    Flayderman says of the 1917 commercial "serials in 335000 and 33600 range."
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If factory original 1917 commercial, would have substantial collector value. Need quality photos for positive identification and valuation.

EDIT #1, All the military Colt 1917's I have run across have the serial # and U.S. Army markings on the butt.

Colt made over 150,000 1917's for the U.S. military in 1917 & 1918.
  • StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wilson's "The Book of Colt Firearms" lists your serial number as being produced in 1933.
  • tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me if the colt 1917s ever came without a serial# on the bottom of the frame?also i have read in books the 1917s in 45 auto ctg were limited to about 1000 guns.is that low production # for specific models(parts,civilian,or other)or 1000 in total for all 1917s?when i learn how to use my new camera i will attempt to post pics.
    edited November -1
    it is blued.is a 45acp and requires moon clips(clips missing)i will check for other markings and get back to you,thank you.quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Is it blue, or parkerized ?

Do all numbers match ?

Does the barrel have property of US Government stamped ?

Are there military inspector's initials on the frame ?

Is it 45 auto with moon clips ?
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tone59, You have described the revolver that Colt called the New Service Model. The Model of 1917 was the military version of the New Service which was in production prior to the 1917 being produced. The New Service production started in 1897 and ended in 1943.

This information is from the book Colt Firearms from 1836 by James Serven.
    edited November -1
    In a couple of posts in this thread the writers have said the pistol in question might be a 1917 Commercial. That may be collector terminology for the pistol Colt called the New Service. I believe we are talking about the same model. I just prefer to use the name that Colt gave it.

Additional: I realize I have taken up another of the 10 posts in this thread but I tried to edit my post above and the addional info I wanted to ad showed up as a new post. I couldn't get the whole post to delete so that is why you are seeing another post. Sorry about that.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Email me if you need a couple of half moon clips. I have several vintage steel ones hanging around waiting to put to good use. Yours for the asking.
    edited November -1
    thank you herschel,this one does not have the words "new service" on the gun.does this mean it is not a new service model or may it still be?
    edited November -1
    tone59, My Colt New Service #S 27069 has stamped into the left side of the barrel Colt New Service .44-40. It has the black hard rubber grips as does your revolver. There is a lanyard swivel on the butt of the grip but no lettering or numbers there. In one of my Colt books there are clear photos of New Service revolvers. In both photos the words New Service are visible stamped on the left side of the barrel.