In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this trojan alert a scam?

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Got this in email. Never saw this before from AOL.

Trojan Worm Found.

From

PIS America Online Solution yolomarshall@msn.comhide details
To

cusrepcenter91090 cusrepcenter91090@aol.com

A SX920VK Trojan Virus has been detected in your folders. Login Here to update to the new Secured SX920VK antivirus 2012.

Thank you

America Online

Comments

• Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waco Waltz,

I'd call that a phishing expedition, because you are instructed to "Login". It could be a combination of a virus & a phishing scam. If you clicked & you entered personal information, then you may be at risk for identity theft & you could have gotten a trojan.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That probably will give you the worse virus your computer ever got [:0][xx(]
    I had one like it a couple of months ago and it took the shop two days to clear it out.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I got a notice norton would be expiring soon and then I got that trojan notice. I did not think norton expires that soon.

Glad I am ordering a new IMAC soon!
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's amazing how much people believe and trust emails from total strangers. Eliminate the email concept and just say a total stranger appears unsolicited at your front door and says your house is at risk of being burglarized but that if you loan him your ATM/credit card, drivers license, and house key, he will ensure you are protected.
    Not many (but, admittedly some) would fall for that. An official looking uniform helps. (Just like an official looking email) But, let the same basic approach be used by email and THOUSANDS fall for it. [xx(]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any more, most of the time I use virtual PC's when I'm on the internet to keep my PC from being infected.