In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rem 41 targetmaster date code location

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Where is the date code located on these? I know mine isnt in the first part of production since it has a serial number on it. Only thing on left side of barrel is the caliber stampings.

Anyone have a pic ? Thanks!

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be under the wood. Google has pic's.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Might be under the wood. Google has pic's.

Only markings under the wood line is the serial number...
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    LOOK ON THE RIGHT SIDE, MY M-37 DATE CODE IS THERE
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington Model 41 Targetmaster .22. The only markings I found under the wood are a "k" and a mark that may have been a proof mark. It also has the serial number in front of the wood on the bottom side of the barrel. Perhaps that would be the key to knowing the date of manufacture.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Blue Book, for a short period of time circa 1999/2001 Remington suspended barrel date codes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    According to the Blue Book, for a short period of time circa 1999/2001 Remington suspended barrel date codes.

These were made from '36 thru '39, and serial numbers started being put on about mid '37.

Serial is 412xx ...
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama

These were made from '36 thru '39, and serial numbers started being put on about mid '37.

Serial is 412xx ...

In that case, perhaps the barrel isn't original? I have never ran across a 22 rifle that I knew for a fact that had be rebarreled. But being it was a target rifle, anything is possible.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama

Serial is 412xx ...

In that case, perhaps the barrel isn't original? I have never ran across a 22 rifle that I knew for a fact that had be rebarreled. But being it was a target rifle, anything is possible.

Impossible to rebarrel these - the barrel and receiver are one solid piece. :)
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have a Remington Model 41 Targetmaster .22. The only markings I found under the wood are a "k" and a mark that may have been a proof mark. It also has the serial number in front of the wood on the bottom side of the barrel. Perhaps that would be the key to knowing the date of manufacture

I'm betting that mark behind the k is a letter the k would make it june and the next letter would give you the year possible letters for that rifle is e f g h

[img][/img]BarrelCodes.jpg

quote:Upon further inspection, I see some more marks on the Left side of the barrel (under the caliber markings). There is an "LF" then the final test mark.

This is in addition to the "K" on the uderside of the barrel.

Would these markings indicate that my rifle was made in October, 1937?

Feb 1937 the l is the month and the F is 1937 if the k was at the 6oclock postion that is proably a inspection stamp
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Upon further inspection, I see some more marks on the Left side of the barrel (under the caliber markings). There is an "LF" then the final test mark.

This is in addition to the "K" on the uderside of the barrel.

Would these markings indicate that my rifle was made in October, 1937?