In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9MM GD Short Barrel question

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Is the 124 gr GDHP bullet the Speer loads in their short barrel 9MM Luger +P the same 9MM 124 gr GD they sell to reloaders or is different?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have the same BC so would expect them to be the same. You could ask them.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are the same bullet, and they seem to work well, in all of my nine's. I carry the CCI/Speer GDHP loads in my 9mm, 40 S&W, and my 45's that I use for carry.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:No, they are not the same. There are gold dots and short barrel gold dots. They are different. Now the factory loaded short barrel gd's are the same as the short barrel gd component bullets. The factory loaded gold dots are the same as the component version of same.

I have read reports that the short barrel versions suffer from terrible accuracy. I have no personal experience with them. I load the regular gold dots in my 4" barreled glock 23 and have excellent accuracy and expansion from them. If you are shooting from a shorter barrel, you may want to go with the short barreled gold dots for more reliable expansion with the lower velocities. However, unless you have expansion problems from the regular gd's, i personally wouldnt make the switch. If you do experience unreliable expansion from your short barrel, then the switch to the sbgd's may be worth the accuracy losses. Especially since the target distances with a short barreled firearm are rarely stretched out

YES...THEY ARE THE SAME!
    If you use your computer to go to the SPEER site, you can see they have only 4 GDHP bullets in 9mm diameter.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/default.aspx?caliber=23&usage=0&brand=0&firearm=2

None of them are specifically designed, just for the component for short barrels...PERIOD.

Now the ammunition loaded by SPEER using their bullets are different, but they both use the SAME EXACT component bullet, as SPEER only makes one flavor of it in 124 grains.

You have read that the loaded ammunition from SPEER suffers from accuracy problems, but not a seperate component, as they DO NOT MAKE ONE.

The only difference in the two loadings from CCI, are the choice of powder's. One is faster burning to try to squeak out some more velocity from the shorter barrel.

They hype you see in the short barrel product listing is MARKETING hype...nothing more.

BTW...I run the regular Speer GDHP ammunition thru my Ruger LC9.

Best
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, they are not the same. There are gold dots and short barrel gold dots. They are different. Now the factory loaded short barrel gd's are the same as the short barrel gd component bullets. The factory loaded gold dots are the same as the component version of same.

I have read reports that the short barrel versions suffer from terrible accuracy. I have no personal experience with them. I load the regular gold dots in my 4" barreled glock 23 and have excellent accuracy and expansion from them. If you are shooting from a shorter barrel, you may want to go with the short barreled gold dots for more reliable expansion with the lower velocities. However, unless you have expansion problems from the regular gd's, i personally wouldnt make the switch. If you do experience unreliable expansion from your short barrel, then the switch to the sbgd's may be worth the accuracy losses. Especially since the target distances with a short barreled firearm are rarely stretched out
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are both right-and both wrong.
    Part numbers 4014 4401` 4482 are short barrel gold dots, not for 9mm.
    part numbers 3992 3994 3998 4002 are reg. gold dots.

I believe there will be a 9mm GD soon out for the short barrels.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1