In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cleaning glock 26

bikerboybikerboy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
How often do most of y'all clean your glock? Is it common practice to clean it after each trip to the range?

Comments

• bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, clean it every time you shoot it.

of course, you can probably get away with never cleaning your Glock, but why not clean it? it will last longer, function more reliably, smell better, look better.

It takes about 2.5 minutes to clean a Glock. Do it every time.
  • BillOrrBillOrr Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who claims to have put through 30,000 rounds through his Glock 17 and NEVER cleaned it. I've seen the gun in question, it looks it, and I believe him. It also runs 100%.

(Its sort of a point of pride for him that he doesn't clean it).

Anyway, yes, it IS common practice for many individuals to clean their guns after every range trip.

Do you absolutely HAVE to? No, you don't.

EDIT: How did this thread from three years ago get kicked up again?

Anyway, once upon a time, I used to meticulously strip and clean every single gun every single time I shot it. Now I don't anymore, doing so only about every 2-3 trips, or if they are clearly dirty and need a cleaning. I just don't have the free time I used to, nor the interest to maintain what are, in some cases, "beater" guns in absolutely pristine condition. I'll still wipe off external soot, and do a "wipe down" with gun oil to discourage rust before I put them away.

I think the answer of "how often to clean" depends on the gun, what you're using it for, and your own personal circumstances.

If you're shooting corrosive ammo, then those guns need to be cleaned thoroughly after shooting, even with only one round downrange.

I have a lower threshold for keeping guns clean if I'm relying on them for self-defense. Likewise, if you're going to be competing with a particular gun, you probably do want to make sure its meticulously clean every time. If I were going to war, I'd clean the gun every time it was used, and I'd clean the gun every time I was exposed to sand or other dirt.

But for a "beater" gun you're plinking with at the range? Eh. . .no real need to keep these in pristine condition, if you don't have the time or inclination. Its OK to clean them every so many trips to the range, or every so many boxes of ammo, or once they start to appear dirty. As mentioned above, some guns are highly dirt/jam resistant, and will run for quite a long time without any maintenance.

If your gun is so unreliable that it jams from fouling after only a few mags/cylinders through it, its probably unreliable period.

I do have a few guns that will actually start to malfunction after a relatively small number of rounds if not cleaned. For example, my High Standard Citation will regularly start to jam up after about 4 boxes of ammo. That's because the gun has no feed ramp into the barrel, and the tolerances there are pretty tight. At that point, a simple 15 second swabbing of the chamber and barrel breech with a Q-tip dipped in gun oil gets the gun functional again for the next 200 rounds or so. I only really strip this down and clean it meticulously infrequently. .22 bores don't need much maintenance, and its quite easy to damage the crown or rifling with overzealous cleaning if you're not careful.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually clean my guns after each use, but my Glocks can wait for about 500 rds between cleanings. Thats usually 2 to 3 trips to the range. They will go a lot longer than that but I dont let them go beyond about 500.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my guns get cleaned after each range trip. The Glocks get cleaned when I get around to it. Sometimes 2 or 3 trips. Never had a single failure to feed or eject with any of the ones I have owned over the past 14 years or so.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Why not clean your firearms after every shooting? I find it relaxing to clean my handguns, and it gives me the chance to really appreciate their beauty, and function.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    Why not clean your firearms after every shooting? I find it relaxing to clean my handguns, and it gives me the chance to really appreciate their beauty, and function.

+1
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    DO you wipe after each BM If not then no need to clean your guns either after use.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the surplus P-1's and PP's became available in the 80's, I worked at a store that bought hundreds. Many of the guns had bores with rifling almost gone from cleaning. I was told later that the PD clean their guns everyday whether they shoot them or not.

I will run a patch with CLP through the bore after shooting, let it sit during the ride home and then run a couple of patches through it and see the results. Usually, thats all I need.

Since you don't shoot lead through a Glock, no worries about scrubbing the lead out.