In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Carbine

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Rockola M1 Carbine with the barrel stamped.

NDERW 000
2-44

Can't find any reference to it.

Thanks

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the market for an original WWII carbine. Before I buy, I need to get an education. Can anyone recommend a book or two? Is there good info available on the net somewhere? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Vic D
    edited November -1
    my dad bought a m1 carbine and we cant figure out who made it or anyhting. it has a 5 digit number on it and some sort of stamp looks like a small skull with circle around it, then it has a dagger (i think) going through it. Any one have any info. I can see no more markings of any kind on the gun just that 5 digit serial number and that marking. the marking is located on the top of the reciever. i found more markings on right hand side under peep sight. NHM Co sac ca. the serial number is 08353.
    edited November -1
    I have a universal m1 wondering if the universals were ever used in any combat and if so hopw would i find out?

Eddie Bratton
    edited November -1
    Going to be looking at 3 M1 Carbines, two are Inland for $650 and an Underwood for $700...I was told one of them has a 7/43 barrel and another has a barrel from 44.

What are some things I need to be looking for. I am going to try to get a throat gauge before I go look at them. If I get a gauge what should I be looking for at the throat and muzzle?

Thanks I know just enough about M1 Garands to say I know very very little, other than owning a CMP Service grade rifle. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Recently I bought a M1 carbine. The barrel had been reblued, even the inside of the barrel. Will this effect it's perfromance?
    edited November -1
    Got my garand taken care of.Now I'm in the market for the carbine.Can you advise me of which brands to avoid.I want a shooter,not a looker.
    Thanks,Papaw al
    edited November -1
    I have a post war model and have been thinking about a scope for the rifle, these old eyes don't focus to well on the iron sights. Anyone out there done this? Don't want to spend a ton of money on a sniper scope:):),, something a little more inexpensive but would allow target aquisition quicker. Thanks[}:)]
    edited November -1
    I bought this M1 carbine off a friend who needed money for bills, i paid $150 for it.
    the S/n is 2183460 and it can barley make out "Underwood" on the tip of muzzle.
    so im guessing this is made by "Standard Products"? anyone know if this is worth anything? any info would be great!

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg
    edited November -1
    My buddy offerd to sell me a M1 Carbine for $420. It is not a GI model, but it uses GI parts(all except Barrel and reciver) I have not looked at it yet. So I don't know it's condition. Assuming it is in good to great condition, is this a good deal?

PS: Sorry to anyone who read my previos post, if you replied to it you do not need to reply again here if you don't want to.
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    A friend has for sale an M1 Carbine, Inland receiver, with a 1942 marked Buffalo Arms barrel. Rifle is in good condition. I do not know what parts are mismatched. Is $700 a fair price? Could it be worth more?
    Thanks...Dan
    edited November -1
    What is a good asking price for M1 Carbine???
    edited November -1
    I have a m1 carbine , the stamping on the receiver under the sight says " ROC--IS" "armory" and A49 under it. the 2 dashes are too light of stampings to see. Is this m1 made by rock island armory and if so why cant I find anything about it?
    edited November -1
    OK Guys need some expert advice. There are two m1 carbines in my grasp and I cant decide wich one to buy. IM Looking for a authentic war time riffle for collect/shooting purposes I would like my riffle to be as close to all origanal as possible, well here are my two choices so please help me out. 1st one is a CMP QUALITY HARDWARE SERVICE GRADE, the gentlman who owns it added some quality hardware parts in the mist of restoring it and want 625.00 for it. 2nd is a BIG 5 CMP mostly origanl from what I can see, it has the origanl SPRINGFIEKLD STOCK with the serial # stamped into the left side wich matches the INLAND RECIEVER , THAT MATCHES THE GENERAL MOTERS BARREL.The cost on this one is 999.99 quite a bit of differce in price. WHATS YOUR EXPERT ADVICE ON THIS ONE. THANKS GUYS .[:)]
    AARON
    edited November -1
    I came across an M1 Carbine at one of my favorite pawn shops last week. It was in good shape but what set me back is it was made by Plainfield Machining. I can't find any referrence of them being made by this company. Can anyone give me any info on this? Is this carbine the real McCoy or a commerically built carbine? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I just found a M1 Carbine Serial # 78##, barrel date 9-42 with Korea paint marked stock adjustable sight and bayonet lug on the gun. What is this worth???? The metal is in 80% and the bore is 95%. All Inland.
    edited November -1
    I have an M1 Carbine, excellent condition. Manufacture: Inland Div. Ser# 5,143-xxx. What is the value of this weapon. Also have an M2 conversation kit for this Carbine, with stock. What is the value of this conversation kit and combined value?
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of codes stamped on my M1 Carbine that I would like to know what they mean
    Behind the ser.# is L.P.W. On the barrel underside is CAI-ST.ALB VT.On the trigger guard W.B.-LP 0138. The number 59 is stamped between the trigger guard and where you put the mag.
    Any help in identifying these numbers and codes will be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Anybody know any cheap sources of ammo. After doing a little research I don't think I want to reload for it
    edited November -1
    Trying to put together an M1 carbine.While treading barrel into receiver it stops about an eighth of a turn short of the proper position. Its a winchester parkerized barrel and a regular Inland receiver. Not being a Gunsmith, I was wondering, what I would have to do,to get the barrel an receiver put together correctly? an headspacing also not sure about. thanks for any information. Bill(Splicer67@optonline.net)
    edited November -1
    I have a M1 carbine that has the serial # of 3450935 and is marked Saginaw S G and General Motors can any one tell me when this rifle was built?
    edited November -1
    Is the military m1 bolt and bolt parts interchangeable with the Universal carbine?
    edited November -1
    I have a M1 carbine that my dad is going to give me. I don't want to sell it but I do want to insure it. My father was a navigator/bombadier in WWII and his father worked in a factory that made arms during that time. The story goes that my grandfather worked with a guy that made custom gunstocks for Teddy Roosevelt and also worked with another guy who was a famous barrel maker. He had them do a custom M1 carbine for him. My dad has provenance on the gun although I don't have the names of the fellows who worked on it handy. Anyway I would appreciate it if you could tell me what it's worth so I can insure it for that amount.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    edited November -1
    Hi...When the last round is fired from the magazine, and the shell ejected, does the bolt remain open? Or does it close on an empty chamber? BT
    edited November -1
    I've got two Inland Carbines to choose from at $600....one is in the 1,000,000 serial number, the other is in the 3,000,000...the lower serial actually appears in better condition, the barrel exterior appears newer, or less beat up than the other.

So you carbine experts give me a couple simple things to look at to decide which to take home. Someone once posted about a poor mans barrel gauge using an M2 Ball cartridge, hows that work again and will it work with a carbine? Thanks!!!
    edited November -1
    i have an m1 made by universal and it has a underfolding stock not the side folding stock of the paratroopers model it has a wooden pistol grip and the wire stockfolds under by pressing two buttons on the side i was wondering if any replacment parts are out there if you look in the numrich gun parts catalog they show a picture of it but they have no listings for any parts for it thanks for any help also the butt of the gun has to be folded to its not one of those complete wire stocks
    edited November -1
    What is this one worth and is it original?
    Barrel is marked: UNDERWOOD 12-42 FLAMING BOMB. It also has the blue sky stamp. SN 19826xx. Above that is some writing but can't make it out since it is under the overhang of the rear sight. Sight is marked IH or HI. Magazine release is marked M. safety tang is marked: looks like J.A.O.
    Trigger group marked INLAND. Don't see any marks on bolt or operating rod. Stock has a P in a square and something I can't read under that. Bore is bright but appears worn.
    Appears to be Parkerized and about 90+. Any help appreciated. Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
    edited November -1
    Looking for Rock Ola M1 carbine parts (barrel,stock,etc.) to help out a fellow forumer who has a stock I would like to get for my Iver Johnson M1 Carbine. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. The stock I want I was told is flimsy but my daughter sure likes it and she accidentally dropped the rifle (bad deal)and broke the wood where the rod pushes in, it also has a front forearm grip (I believe that's what she really likes about it) I purchesed a paratrooper stock for my Inland which is nice for the look. I believe if I put a front forearm grip on it she would probably like it as much too(she is 16)Well if anyone can help me out please,,, THANKS Mike and one of my four daughters. P.S. With all girls in my house I believe I need all the prayers and support from all I can recieve HaHA.
    edited November -1
    I have a IBM Corp. carbine that is stamped "Blue Sky" on barrel.
    What was their role in distribution of the guns and does it affect
    the price?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    I inherited some boxes of stuff from a relative that have 3 parts to a M1 Carbine. He worked at the Wyoming MI Inland plant, but, what I have are an unissued reciever (sn 2769xxx) marked Saginaw Gear, a trigger housing from SG (pristine), and a barrel from Buffalo Arms(6/43). There are no wear marks on any except the barrel might have had some oil in it. I recently have had some time on my hands and would like to know if I should build a SG carbine or just let them go. I still can't figure out why the Grand Rapids plant would have SG or Buffalo parts.

Thanks for any help.
    edited November -1
    Anyone know anything about a carbine made by Alpine? It appears identical military, but can't find any info on it. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Want to purchase an M1 Carbine but unsure if I should stick with military type or get a commercial model. Any thoughts on a carbine by IAI? What about price range? Most I've seen go for close to the same price as the Garand.
    edited November -1
    Seen one (M1 carbine) that was converted to a pump action. Was this a common item by some company? If so, who?
    edited November -1
    Help I have two m1 carbine. 1 underwood .1 standerd. Receiver on standerd #2179xx. But Barrel is not standerd. marked p on top but under stock at back is marked .[?] p michaels. Batavia Ill b1
    edited November -1
    so im looking for my first m1 carbine...ive collected milsurps for awhile and while i like to shoot them...i also prefer cherry examples not beaters...i know m1 carbines range from $500 - $1500 and im a total noob on what to look for but how is this one i found in a local shop today?

Winchester receiver with serial # 5806618
    the barrel has either a V or W stamped into it...looks like it was a W but was worn off
    front barrel band stamped KI
    Circle P on pistol grip
    left part of the stock stamped RIA with EB underneath is a square
    right part of stock stamped WRA with GHD under neath and next to crossed cannons
    safety stamped with a P
    mag release stamped with an M
    rear sight stamped with an H inside what looks like a shield
    W stamped into the sling well

there was no date or or flaming bomb stamped on the barrel...barrel had bayonet lug...parkerizing looked to be about 95+% and the wood was about the same...gun was marked for under $900

comments...ideas....
    edited November -1
    I have a M1 on the barrel it says Inland Mfg Div, General Motors 2-44 would anyone have any Info of this gun and maybe the value,It is in real good shape , looks like new it has a round bolt.#4991*** (The only markings on the stock are L-J were the sling goes in at were the oiler is at,Under the rear sight it says Inland and some numbers . no bayonet lug.
    Thanks

Van Meter
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has an all original M1 Carbine he wants to sell or trade...

I wanted to advise him; however, I don't know much about the history of these guns so here I am...

The action (all blued) is in good condition, also the stock as well... A couple of very (very) minor dings, and some wear of the finish just above the buttplate..

Here are the markings from it...

Barrel= INLAND MFG. DIV
    GENERAL MOTORS
    6-44

Fwd Receiver= U.S. CARBINE
    CAL .30 M1

Rear Receiver= INLAND DIV

He also has a 5 pouch bandolier w/stripper clips, and two ammo pouches, with two 10 rd. mags each..

Please chime in with any historical facts...

Also maybe someone wants to advise an approximate value...

Son...
    We live in a world that has walls...
    And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.
    edited November -1
    ireceived an M1 Carbine ....it looks like a bayonette lug is installed..where would i get one to make it complete...the front sight needs to be lowered and yes i pushed the rear sight all the way forward.I want it to look real and shoot real...thanks
    edited November -1
    Any info would be appreciated[:(]
    edited November -1
    I have a M! Carbine Id like to sell.Does anyone know the value?...Its in A+ condition????
    edited November -1
    I am looking to purchase a decent WWll or Korean war vintage M1 Carbine what should I be looking for and what is a fair price to pay for a decent one. Are some more desirable than others RE manufacturer?
    new to this field want one for shooting.

Thanks!