In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suppressed Ruger .22 ammunition

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I ordered a suppressed Ruger MKIII .22 pistol. What is recommended for a sub sonic ammunition? What brands tend to run well in Rugers?

Its going to be used for euthanizing small injured & sick animals...ie ground hogs, skunks and such

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    any standared velocity 22lr will be fine HS will work but if bullet travels down range you will get a pfffft and a sonic crack
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best I have found is PMC moderators, if you can find it. Why? The hollow point and lead hardness is soft enough to completely deform at subsonic velocity. It seems to hit harder with less noise than any other brand. Also the powder is clean burning at such velocity. But my testing was in bolt action rifle. Any semi auto rifle/pistol may have extraction issues with any subsonic ammo, so test it out before you buy quantity.
    If you are going to dispatch a small animal, injured as you say, then I would use a .22 rifle with any ammo, placing the muzzle close which would remove all noise and insure a precise humane kill.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI 40 grain standard velocity.

On sale, great price, FREE SHIPPING.
    http://tinyurl.com/6cevcfo
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before I stocked up on ammo I'd buy a box of everything and try it. A spare recoil spring to fit might be handy for ligher loads to help it run better. I'm not sure high vel will break the sound barrier in a handgun.
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask the dealer you ordered the gun from.
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use standard velocity ammo on all my 22 suppressors. why? because almost everyone that makes suppressed guns shorten the barrels and ports the barrels ( drill holes in them ) to reduce velocity. sub-sonic doesnt make that much difference in a .22 silencer. plus, they make the gun less relaible. my integral guns and screw on guns are super quiet. way quieter than air rifles. now, on larger calibers, it makes a difference with sub-sonic.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goodgunparts
    Ask the dealer you ordered the gun from.

This is ask the experts, not ask the useless smart *
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I have stated before, in other threads, on other subjects. it makes perfect sense to ask the dealer you ordered it from. He most likely has, or can get that information from the manufacturer, of what ammunition they reccommend.

I do know though, that if the bullet is traveling above the sound of speed(@ 1080 FPS), it will make a supersonic crack, when it breaks the sound barrier. I have seen high powered air rifles do this too.

Best
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester DynaPoints
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please note- if using ANY firearm at very close range, protect the gun/ can from splashback. Blood equals VERY fast rust and pitting. Salt, y'know.