In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

smith guys

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
making grips for a S&W 586, hsays the grips " they will work for any L frame and I think K frame as well. "
is this correct (the "i think" makes me ask)
would like to know what models i can use the frame i made for fitting instead of always having someone send their old grips

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K & L grip frames are the same.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming it's a comparison of "square butt to square, round to round" any K frame such as Model 15, Model 14, Model 17, Model 12, Model 10 will work when making grips for a 581, 686 L frame. Model 53, Model 48 too.

Not so funny story, I screwed up a handload and blew up my old Smith Model 25 - topstrap, half the cylinder separated and launched about 50' across the firing line. Good thing I'm tall and was standing, the steel went over eveyone's head. When I made mention of what happened a fellow who makes custom grips offered and bought the frame from me, seems he keeps a steady supply of broken, damaged or destroyed frames about for just that purpose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys, over 90% of the grips i have made were 1911s and i shied away from the revolvers a lot because of fit issues
    then it dawned on me if i can gather some old frames it would solve most of the fit issues, and the need for people to send their old grips to copy from
    and having an old frame sure helps hold the wood solid to do the shaping as well!
    anyone has any junk frames that need a home, let me know!
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anything be done to the frame so it is no longer a gun that can just be mailed to you? But it would still need to be able to be used for fitting. Any ideas? Do many of them have a grip frame that come off the body with the serial #?
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    Can anything be done to the frame so it is no longer a gun that can just be mailed to you? But it would still need to be able to be used for fitting. Any ideas? Do many of them have a grip frame that come off the body with the serial #?

It can be cut behind the barrel. That makes the rear half just parts.
    There's a guy on the auction side that sells them all the time.
    Look at the "Gun Parts Kits" section. For these,
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312946561
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if there is even a smal amount past where the grip covers, i can weld a peice of bar to clamp in the vice to hold it and be a very happy man!
    anyone has something needs a home, let me know at
    oldemagics@hotmail.com