In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt 45 cylinder

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a Colt saa in 45 lc made in 1983, cylinder measures .456" to .457" , should be .452". Also all Colt cylinders I have saw had the last digits of serial # on them, this one has 45 in small numbers. Do you thank this may be some sort of after market cylinder? And has anyone saw a 3rd. generation Colt with cylinder bores that big? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rwfixemrwfixem Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that seems to be standard size for colt factory cylinder throats. part of the reason it is hard to get good accuracy with them.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I should use .454" lead bullets when reloading for this gun? I have not sluged the bore yet.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .4535 on a 2nd Gen 14238SA.
    Aside from the pony on the rear, the number 73 is stamped into the cylinder under the bushing in front.
    I have a letter from R. Wagner of Colt dated 4/7/70 advising me of a chamber dimension change made to .45LC chambers. The dimensional change went from .488 to .480. He didn't mention a throat change. He apparently kept my correspondence of 10 years prior where I complained to Remington and Colt about bulging and splitting balloon head cases in the above 2nd Gen Colt.
    Elmer Keith also addressed chamber throats, advising not to ream them larger than bore size. The subject was leading.