In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Italian Carcano ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just picked this up and would like any info on it, it's marked 1950 ??. I thought that was 'late' for the Carcano's. over all nice shape with a good bore.

i-4_zps85cfbf54.jpg

i-2_zps28c6cf1a.jpg

i-1_zps2e180df3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I agree, it does seem late; Carcano receiver manufacture stopped in 1945. The VIII would refer to the 9th year of Fascist rule, meaning 1930. The octagon barrel also would indicate an earlier piece. I suspect what you actually have is a 1930 produced 91/38 TS carbine, that was either mis-stamped, or re-stamped in 1950 for export, though I'd lean toward the former as the stamping style appears otherwise correct. It also could have been a worn over overly hard stamped die, or the die skipped a bit on stamping; if you consider that the 5 and 3 are similar.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "It also could have been a worn over overly hard stamped die, or the die skipped a bit on stamping; if you consider that the 5 and 3 are similar.".........this is probably correct. under good light and with magnification it looks like part of the '3' is missing, making the top 'hook' apear to bet a '5'.
    thanks

"I am curious why VIII -8- would indicate the 9th year of fascist rule."..........beats me, Italians never were my 'specialty' (Swedes & Germans on the other hand [:p])
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am curious why VIII -8- would indicate the 9th year of fascist rule.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well that's a good question. VIII is 8, and 1930 is 8 years later, considering 1922-1930... so I'm guessing I just mistyped. :)