In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

refinishing an 1873 Winchester

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Was down at LGS and an older couple had just gotten a really neat old 1873 in 22 short from her fathers estate and were inquiring about the value of it. It appeared that it was all original except the wood had been refinished with a plastic straight butt plate on it and the metal was a very nice patina with no rust or pitting and normal wear. They had a letter from Cody that said it was made in 1903.

So with all of the local experts it seems that they want to send it to Turnbull's for a full restoration. It appeared that they wanted to have it restored and keep it, but if they were going to sell it I'd think that keeping it the way it was would be of more value. IMO the gun was a pretty strong 75% w/o the wood refinish. Obviously no pics but what say you??

Todd

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it will look like a million bucks when they get it back, likely to cost that much too. Loosing money proposition but for some people that doesn't matter.

Google only pulls up a 5 shot pump shotgun for a Winchester 1893.

Dad had a 22 short 1890 in mint condition. I have a 1906, I like the exposed hammer, but the Remington 121 is a lot nicer in many ways.

added that's ok, typo's - brain fade. I was hoping it was some rare off hand target rifle I never seen or heard of before now.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Charlie, I meant to type 1873.[B)]
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i sold one last fall from an estate that was total brown patina this a ruff bore for 2500.00
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure Turnbull could make it real pretty.

If I had it, I would find somebody who could strip the stock and age it back to match the metal.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the stated condition, it would be foolish to have Turnbull restore it.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I prefer a well worn original to a Turnbull restoration. Maybe try to find some original wood for it, but otherwise leave it be.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    In the stated condition, it would be foolish to have Turnbull restore it.

True.

On a 75% gun, even a Turnbull restoration would pull the value down. Replacing a high-percentage original finish with 100% fake, doesn't make much sense.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I am sure Turnbull could make it real pretty.

If I had it, I would find somebody who could strip the stock and age it back to match the metal.

Me too..