In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7 rem.mag to Weatherby 7 mag

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a 7 MM Rem Mag.,and would like to punch it out to a 7MM Weatherby Mag, will this work? The rifle id a Winchester Classic...[?]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think so but why? {Elsewhere}
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Depending on the tolerances of your chamber, you may need to have the barrel shortened by a thread: the radius shoulder of the Wby may be shorter than the corner on the Win. Other than that, all of the dimensions of the Wby are the same as or larger than the Win- so it would work. Match grade ammunition is loaded for the Win, but other than that, the Wby, in my opinion is a better cartridge (longer neck, less body taper) but I think if I were going to get it rechambered, I'd get rid of the belt and go for the 7 Ultra or such.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had a Ruger No.1 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel punched out to a 257 Weatherby, but didn't know of any Winchester 70's being done that way..
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Charlie. Why?
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the .257,.270 and 7mm Weatherby mags are all built on the shorter .30-06 action length belted magnum cartridges (The 7 Whby is 2.55 inch, 7mm Rem is 2.500, shoulder diameters are the same at .490 inch) and there is so little actual difference in the size of these cases, that it really won't be "punched out" more than "rechambered".

Unless you're sitting on a cache of 7 Whby that you want to shoot, or you're just hankering for that caliber and like your Winchester, there is not going to be a lick of difference between them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since I don't hand load, I like Weatherby ammo best,because of its quality,and that's why I would like to change the 7mm to a 7mm Weatherby...and I hhave had great experience with its deer hunting value..
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a decent reason, the Weatherby round is a good one...but nowhere near as popular as the 7 Rem is. Since they are so close in size, I think you're going to have to go the "find a 'smith to cut some threads to shorten the 7mm Remington's chamber, then rechamber to Weatherby " route as was posted earlier.

It might not be very cheap, but the Vanguard doesn't come in 7 Whby and a new Mark V has a MSRP of $1,500 so it should be a good bit less than that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    That's a decent reason, the Weatherby round is a good one...but nowhere near as popular as the 7 Rem is. Since they are so close in size, I think you're going to have to go the "find a 'smith to cut some threads to shorten the 7mm Remington's chamber, then rechamber to Weatherby " route as was posted earlier.

It might not be very cheap, but the Vanguard doesn't come in 7 Whby and a new Mark V has a MSRP of $1,500 so it should be a good bit less than that.
    Rio ,my rifle is a Classic Winchester model 70 with a boss. I like it over the Weatherby rifles...
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the barrel needs to be set back; the worst that can happen is that the shoulder area will not quite "clean up". That would just leave the fired brass looking a little funny and since you don't reload, who will care. The biggest difference in the chamberings is in the extra .050 neck length. However, whoever does the rechambering job should add the Weatherby style freebore or pressure problems will probably occur. Weatherby ammo is HOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all...!!Most helpful.