In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger mk ii /iii magazines

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
hello all a quick? can the the folloewers be swicthed out between a mk2 and mk 3 and if so how do you disassemble them? thanks Kevin

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe Mark II, magazine disassembly procedure is different then Mark III? Last time I owned one, I had to push the follower down all the way. Till the follower button aligned with the large diameter hole in the side of the mag. Then pull out the button. Follower will be ejected by spring pressure from top of mag into your face, if you're not careful!

Not sure if the Mark II and Mark III followers, are interchangeable?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Believe Mark II, magazine disassembly procedure is different then Mark III? Last time I owned one, I had to push the follower down all the way. Till the follower button aligned with the large diameter hole in the side of the mag. Then pull out the button. Follower will be ejected by spring pressure from top of mag into your face, if you're not careful!

Not sure if the Mark II and Mark III followers, are interchangeable?

Rufe,,,,unless they've changed the disassembly is the same for both re the base pad and push button.

I don't agree. There is a difference in magazines between Mark II, steel framed pistols. And Mark II, plastic framed 22-45's.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kms1961
    hello all a quick? can the the folloewers be swicthed out between a mk2 and mk 3 and if so how do you disassemble them? thanks Kevin

The Mark II and Mark III followers are the exact same parts, so you can interchange them if you like. http://shopruger.com/Mark-II-III-Magazine-Follower/productinfo/61104/

The base-plate needs to removed as forgemonkey describes. (The procedure rufe-snow is describing is for magazine disassembly for some very early Mark I magazines.)

The magazine bodies and followers for the 22/45 and "standard"-framed pistols can be interchangeable by changing their base-plates, but there can be differences in the bodies preventing the swapping. The standard Mark III -- and the 22/45 -- has the button latch-point; the Mark III has the magazine-safety too. The Mark II (standard grip-frame) has the heel-latch and no magazine safety. So you cannot usually take a Mark II magazine body and make it work in a Mark III. (But you can generally take a Mark III magazine and make it work in a Mark II or Mark I. You may have to change the side the follower-button protrudes from the magazine when doing a "backward compatible" conversion.)
  • Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got it very simple after you know how too.and it seems they are interchageable just a different dia. button on them. thanks kevin