In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are Beretta Model 86's really worth ?

Retired five-0Retired five-0 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Curious as to what the real value of a Beretta Model 86 is. Here is a gun that was made from 1991 thru 2003, and I have done a bit of research, and there were several hundred thousand made during those years - so why are they bringing such a high dollar amount on GB.com ?
Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wondered about that myself? Last one I saw was at a show couple of years ago for $650. Guess it sold at that, as I never saw it again.

Don't know where you're getting your data, on 2 hundred thousand? They never were sold or available in quantity, here in the States. As compared to the Model 84, that were quite common.

There was a similar discussion on another forum. The conscience was that I screwed the pooch, for not jumping on that one for $650.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Retired five-0
    Curious as to what the real value of a Beretta Model 86 is. Here is a gun that was made from 1991 thru 2003, and I have done a bit of research, and there were several hundred thousand made during those years - so why are they bringing such a high dollar amount on GB.com ?
    Thanks for any input.

There were never "several hundred thousand" of the Model 86s made. If you are seeing that number somewhere, it is probably for the "81" Series overall -- which includes the Model 86, along with 81, 82, 83, 84, 87 and 89: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Cheetah

The suggested retail price on the 86s was around $650 when last produced. The premiums they bring now are related not only to collector speculation, but for their functionality too. They are the only mid-sized 380 auto I'm aware of with the tip-up barrel feature.

What surprises me, is that when one sees premiums, like that seen for the Model 86, for a relatively recent production firearm, that the manufacturers don't do another production run to meet the demand out there, as indicated by the high prices.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What surprises me, is that when one sees premiums, like that seen for the Model 86, for a relatively recent production firearm, that the manufacturers don't do another production run to meet the demand out there, as indicated by the high prices.

That just goes to show, how out of tune with the real world, some of the big conglomerates are with the real world. They would rather change the color of a part on a certain model, and make a new variation, than change over tooling to produce something that has proven number's in sales.

Remington, and Savage do it a lot, too. The only two BIG ones, that pay real attention to the market place, are Colt, and Winchester...the most collectable brands in firearms.

Best