In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber 1911

keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
just wandering,can anybody tell me annything about kimber 1911's,are they as good as colt,springfield,what's your opinion.

thank's

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am interested in buying a Kimber 1911 and would like any information on these guns. Good? Bad? Problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a full size Kimber 1911. After around 300 rounds the adjustable rear sight came loose. It now wiggles slightly side to side in the cut (dovetail?). Does anyone know how to remedy this or what may have caused it?

Also, if anyone could recommend a quality set of night sights (adjustable if at all possible, but first and foremost rugged). I would like to be able to install them myself, but being as this is my first experience with the 1911 design i really dont know what is required to do so. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I feel that I probably made a mistake in buying my Kimber 1911 for defense. It's a pro cpd II.

It was seemingly reliable for about the first 500 or so rounds but now it fails to load to battery about every other round. I know it already sounds like it is something I've done wrong but I don't know what it would be. It used to be fully reliable, even holding it out to my side with my arm fully extended with two fingers holding. It now has a tendency to not go full forward to battery.

My confidence is already blown with it but I am still curious for your opinions.

Thing on a good wheel gun at this point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any opinions on Kimber 1911`s. Currently in the market for a 1911 to add to the collection. Thanks[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just purchased a Kimber Eclipse custom II. Im very impressed with the way it shoots and handles. Thanks for the advice guys. [:D]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it a good, no, a REALLY good cleaning and see what she does. Of course being a Glock fan, I have one other suggestion, but we won't go there just yet.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Give it a good, no, a REALLY good cleaning and see what she does. Of course being a Glock fan, I have one other suggestion, but we won't go there just yet.[;)]

I think at this point I'm already there. But still curious as to the problem.

I didn't know jack about pistols when I bought this one. I only knew that that what they gave me in
    Viet Nam when carrying the M 79 so I bought one.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    and a new recoil spring
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    and a new recoil spring

If it needs a new recoil spring already I still will need another weapon.

But thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Keith,,,,a fellow had the same weapon in the CCW class last Sat. with the same problem.

I corrected two things on the spot. This was a new gun and he had fired a couple hundred rounds prior to the class. He was shooting reloads loaded with very dirty powder. And the weapon was bone dry as far as lubrication,,,,,oil is your friend.

I scrubbed the chamber and lubed in the proper places and it ran perfect from then on.

I'm not saying the above is your problem,,,,,just saying what was his problem. Are you shooting reloads?? If you are there could be a problem with the resizing die not set correctly, leaving the very bottom portion of the case a couple thousandths larger and with a tight chamber the friction slows the slide travel. Also, if you don't have the proper taper crimp for a tight chamber it can affect the slide going into battery.

Also, have you checked the chamber re the extent of reamer marks,,,,it might need polishing.

I am not shooting reloads but it is another batch of ammo.

I will check the chamber. Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it stainless? I lube my POS AMT Hardballer with the RIG +p Stainless lube. Have you let the slide drop a lot on an empty chamber? I'd try some different ammo and magazines.

The really loose rat grade 45's are more reliable and inaccurate than a nice tight target model.

I like wheel guns right up to mud/sand, then not so much.

The break action M79 is good choice for reliability.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Is it stainless? I lube my POS AMT Hardballer with the RIG +p Stainless lube. Have you let the slide drop a lot on an empty chamber? I'd try some different ammo and magazines.

The really loose rat grade 45's are more reliable and inaccurate than a nice tight target model.

I like wheel guns right up to mud/sand, then not so much.

The break action M79 is good choice for reliability.

It is stainless. I'll try the lube and get a new recoil spring. I have let the slide drop on empty a few times but what does that tend to do to it?

I loved my M 79 with a canister round!!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You don't run a CAR without oil as Forgemonkey stated OIL IS YOUR FRIEND
    I have a 1911 with over 300,000 rounds through it with same recoil spring. Unless you have some ASIAN crap Just think on how many times a Valve spring on your car goes through a compression cycle when you drive it even one thousand Miles[:0] Moving parts need to be clean and then lubed.[^]
    AMMO needs to be of good quality and also clean. BTW the M79 was also MY favorite One canister round more than equal to a full Magazine of
    223 in a early M16 with no forward assist and ammo loaded with dirty burning Powder Vietnam 1966
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 4" Kimbers are notoriously undersprung.
    500 round is pretty short for recoil spring life, 800 is usually given, but lack of lube and a little bad luck and it is worn out.

The EGW recoil spring guide and ISMI flat wire spring will help.
    https://egwguns.com/wecs.php?store=232536056986&action=display&target=10500

Wolff makes a better conventional spring:
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/KIMBER/Compact & Pro Carry/cID1/mID32/dID413