In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price Check..... Colt Navy Revolvers

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
My BIL has a chance to buy a pair of these 1851 Colt Navy's (manufactured in 1973).

They have never been cocked, much less shot.

I cannot find a price range anywhere...... appreciate any assistance.

Colt1861Navymanufactured1973_zps54e5c097.jpg

Thanks,

NS

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    What are the serial numbers of each revolver? I have Dennis Russell's book on 2nd Generation Colts and the only 1851 Navy factory double sets were engraved and gold inlaid.

Here's my single engraved Navy (in a non-factory Bill Shumate case) as an example:

EC1.jpg

Yours doesn't look like a Colt factory case, either. It may also be a Bill Shumate case, which are high quality and pretty authentic. Are the accessories (flask, bullet mold) marked "Colt's Patent"?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    What are the serial numbers of each revolver? I have Dennis Russell's book on 2nd Generation Colts and the only 1851 Navy factory double sets were engraved and gold inlaid.

Here's my single engraved Navy (in a non-factory case) as an example:

EC1.jpg
    Spider:

My BIL is in Illinois. He was offered the pistols today for $1,000.

He does not have the serial numbers available at this time.

Thanks for the response.

NS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They might be worth that if they are "C" series revolvers. The owner probably doesn't have the original boxes. I'm really sure that's an aftermarket case and the partitions are not form-fitted to the guns and accessories.

If the mold and flask are stamped "Colt's Patent", I would tend to buy them. If they're Italian repro's, I'd try to get them for $100 - $150 less.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BP Colts were assembled in the US, from parts made in Italy. Because of this, the external markings will be different.

The Italian assembled guns will be marked. "Italy" or "Made in Italy". They will also have Italian commercial proof marks. These proof marks are required by Italian Law.

The only fly in the ointment regarding this. Is that some U.S. collectors/shooters have had the Italian markings removed, to make their Colts appear to be more authentic. This is legal as far as are feds are concerned.

My WAG is that $1000 would be a very good price, for authentic U.S. assembled BP Colts in that condition. But I get the feeling at that price, the guns are actually all Italian made. I would pass on Italian made Colts at that price. No matter how nice shape they are in. They wouldn't be worth close to $1000, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The BP Colts were assembled in the US, from parts made in Italy. Because of this, the external markings will be different.

The Italian assembled guns will be marked. "Italy" or "Made in Italy". They will also have Italian commercial proof marks. These proof marks are required by Italian Law.

The only fly in the ointment regarding this. Is that some U.S. collectors/shooters have had the Italian markings removed, to make their Colts appear to be more authentic. This is legal as far as are feds are concerned.

My WAG is that $1000 would be a very good price, for authentic U.S. assembled BP Colts in that condition. But I get the feeling at that price, the guns are actually all Italian made. I would pass on Italian made Colts at that price. No matter how nice shape they are in. They wouldn't be worth close to $1000, IMHO.

None of the Colt 2nd Generation models were ever manufactured in Italy nor were they marked as such. They were all assembled in the US, either at the Colt factory (C" series 1971-1973) or at the Iver Johnson factory (1973-1976) and the "F" series from 1978-1982.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

None of the Colt 2nd Generation models were ever manufactured in Italy nor were they marked as such. They were all assembled in the US, either at the Colt factory (C" series 1971-1973) or at the Iver Johnson factory (1973-1976) and the "F" series from 1978-1982.

I tried to make clear in my post that there were two distinct types, of BP Colt repos. Those assembled in the U.S. with Italian made parts. And those assembled in Italy with Italian markings and proof marks.

To a person unfamiliar with the difference, they would appear to be similar. Value wise, as I pointed out in my post. There would be a quite substantial difference in values. If the OP's Colts are the ones assembled in the U.S., $1000 would be a good deal. My WAG, is they aren't though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

I tried to make clear in my post that there were two distinct types, of BP Colt repos. Those assembled in the U.S. with Italian made parts. And those assembled in Italy with Italian markings and proof marks.

To a person unfamiliar with the difference, they would appear to be similar. Value wise, as I pointed out in my post. There would be a quite substantial difference in values. If the OP's Colts are the ones assembled in the U.S., $1000 would be a good deal. My WAG, is they aren't though.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. IF they are Colt-marked, 2nd Generation "C" series, revolvers, they're probably worth the asking price, especially if the accessories are also Colt marked. I'm a bit concerned about the "Colt Blackpowder Company" poster on top of the case as those would be 3rd Generation "Signature Series" revolvers with Sam Colt's signature on the backstraps. Those are not considered "real" Colts as they were simply licensed to Lou Imperato's company (now the Henry Repeating Arms Company) and will not letter with the Colt factory whereas the 2nd Generation models will.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks fella's.

I'll share the information with him and see if I can get some additional information for the forum.

NS