In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One for Bert

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hi. Are you still doing the Model 94 Survey? I have a pre-war 94 and will supply info if you're still collecting it. Regards Jim

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jim,

Yes, I am am still working on the Model 94/55/64 research survey (even though I have completed and published four separate articles on them thus far). It appears that I will continue the research survey in perpetuity.

In addition to the aforementioned models, I am also conducting research surveys for the following models; All 1893, 1897/97, 43, 53, 65, and 71s, and any Model 1885 with a serial number 110,000 - 140,000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, Bert. I've got a Model 94, with serial #1157357. It is marked 30-WCF. The barrel is marked Prof Steel. The butt plate is serrated edge metal, shotgun butt. The tang says WINCHESTER, Trade Mark, and Made in USA. It has a Lyman peep sight installed on the left side of the receiver, the one with the big lever to loosen and fix the sight in place. Do you think it was factory installed? I am unable to send photos at this time. Hope this has been useful. Regards Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim,

The Lyman sight is more than likely the No. 21. It is possible for it to have been special ordered and installed by Winchester, but the odds are higher that it was not.

The serial number tells us that it was manufactured in December of 1937.

In regards to the tang marking, does it have dashes preceding and following the text on the second and third lines?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert. No, there are no dashes or marks of any kind preceding or following the 2nd and 3rd lines on the tang. Thanks for the background info. on my '94. Regards Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim,

Thank you for the update. Your Carbine is now the earliest confirmed Model 94 with the Type-7 upper tang marking. Serial number 1156882 (12/11/1937) is the highest serial number in my survey with a Type-6 tang marking, and your Model 94 with serial number 1157357 (12/14/1937) is the first with the Type-7 tang marking. I have now very closely nailed down the date it was changed.[8D]