In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 in a 45-90?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I wonder if you can shoot a 45-70 in a 45-90 1886 Winchester?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will work for sure as a single shot. Might feed ok depends on the loaded bullet. Clean the chamber when done just like 38 Specials in a 357. 45-60 would work too.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not altogether sure? But I believe that the 45-90, was one of the so called black powder express cartridges. These utilized a lighter bullet, with slower twist barrel for higher velocities.

A standard 400 to 500 grain 45-70 bullet, might have degraded accuracy? Fired from a slow twist barrel, meant for the lighter express bullet loads.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This used to be commonly done.
    It is not unsafe, but as said, accuracy with a 405 gr bullet jumping .3" to the start of a slow rifling twist meant for a 300 is not likely to be good.
    If you just want to say you have shot Grandpa's Gun a few times, it might might get you by, but for regular use, there is no excuse not to buy full length brass and 300 gr bullets.
    A friend has one that is very accurate with good ammo.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd just under load the 45-90 to 45-70 level or somewhere in between. Don't forget the grits.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a lot of experience shooting blue label US Govt black powder ammo
    in a deluxe 86 45-90 as a kid when that ammo was cheap.
    Notwithstanding chamber lengths and barrel lengths it regularly outshot two buddies' new condition 45-70 Springfields at a 100 yd range.
    We all tried it and the '86 came out winner every time.
    Today it would be insanity as the Govt ammo was corrosive.