In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Dragoon

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a friend who was just given a Colt Dragoon (SN 39XX) by his mother. The story in their family is that one of their ancestors removed it from a deceased Union soldier during the Civil War. They do not know for sure this is true. The pistol appears to be in very good shape - it has some of the original silver finish on it. it is not rusty. I have read a little on the history of these guns (on the internet). Any one have any idea of its potential worth? From what I learned, it is one of the first editions of this particular gun - it has a square trigger guard. He would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchased a Dragoon with a 8 inch barrel from a family with a wedge that inserts from the left. Our other 7 1/2 guns load from the right.In looking on the internet I see both. This gun has period screws and can be traced back to a ancestor. Which is right?Did they make both ways?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    All wedges insert from the left side, beneath the retaining screw. If from the right, it may be because the left side was damaged and the wedge wouldn't stay in place.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing if it's so, that some repro makers fit wedges from the right it may be to discourage counterfeiting.
    A Wedge from the right might also be from a repair where the original keeper screw hole on the left was buggered up.