In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger American centerfire rifle

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody have any direct experience with this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two friends of mine took them to Africa a .416 and a .338. They did fine
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    jptatum,

The Ruger American, is a close derivative of the Savage Axis. It is an inexpensive entry level rifle, that seems to work for the majority of folks who are only going to use them on a yearly basis, or not all that often.

They make them in several popular chamberings, from 223 Remington, to 30-03 SPRG. However, they are not something that most folks would take to Africa. They are not available in .416,or.338 either.

Best

EDIT 1

I do believe that some folks are getting the Ruger, being American made, mixed up with the no frills model, "Ruger American". There is a distinctive difference.

EDIT 2

Just got done reading that Article in the American Rifleman. THey compared Ruger American's, Remington 783's, Mossberg ATR, and the Savage Axis. The results were pretty impressive for the Ruger, as they seemed like that was their pick.

Best
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in .270. Is there anything in particular you're wondering about?
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you like it? Handling, etc.
  • Options
    dft88dft88 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had one in 308 for about years. I bought it because of it's price and reviews an use it to hunt Eastern Whitetail deer. It is well balanced and handles nicely. Very accurate rifle. There is nothing about it that would make me think it wouldnt hold up to consisent use with normal cleaning and maintainence. Not sure where that came from.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several rifles in .270 and the Ruger American is about in the middle accuracy-wise. That's no insult; it will shoot some loads, some of the time into an inch @ 100 for 5 shots. Velocity is comparable, too. There is nothing awkward or clumsy about the rifle, the controls are convenient and easy to operate. But, keeping in mind that I am an old school, blued steel and walnut guy, there is not much in the way of pride of ownership involved here. It is no Ruger 77 or pre 64 Model 70. Of course, by the same token, you wouldn't have to worry about hunting in nasty weather with it, either. I think, for most purposes, it's a good rifle at a good price.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's an article covering this and other bargain rifles in the June "American Rifleman".http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/bargain-hunting-rifles
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the "Compact" models in 7mm08. I painted the stock dark green, then sprayed lightly with black "spiderweb" paint for accent and texture. Next added a Leupold 3-9x50 and nylon sling. It is very compact, light, and fast handling. I get 1.25 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds. with handloads. I like everything except the magazine; It is too easy to unlatch and possibly lose. I own many, many other and "better" rifles but when I go hunting, I usually take the American.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are great sellers for us. I have a NYS SWAT team member who bought one in .243 and said he has 1" or less groups at 100 yards. Trigger system is decent. These are "entry" level price point guns for Ruger though that were developed to compete with the Savage Axis line. They are made in 223,243,270, 7mm-08, 3006 and .308 only in the centerfire line. They also have a line in 22Mag and 22LR..
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    those who know me have always said the best budget rifle was a stevens 200. it is basically a savage 110 with no accutrigger.why i think they are have their place there is so many things you can do with the stevens.the other budget rifles are what they are. must say i think the 783 is big improvement from the 710 and 770