In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 22lr folks?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Is there any difference between a marlin model 80 takedown & a model 80 or are they 1 in the same? A guy is selling one & is calling it a takedown model, but I can't seem to find any info on a takedown model with google.

Comments

• mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms does not indicate there is a specific "takedown" model. The Marlin literature he quotes indicates the rifle was easy to takedown for cleaning and oiling. Perhaps a book on firearm assembly/disassembly will have those instructions. I would also check you-tube for a video.
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an 80DL model for deluxe, which had a walnut stock, sling swivels, and a rear peep sight. I have never heard of the takedown model. If it's an 80DL they usually go for $200, and the rear peep sight alone is worth $85.00
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thorhammer
    There is an 80DL model for deluxe, which had a walnut stock, sling swivels, and a rear peep sight. I have never heard of the takedown model. If it's an 80DL they usually go for $200, and the rear peep sight alone is worth $85.00

It doesn't have a rear peep sight just the normal sight elevator type.
    Here are some pics of it.

FL_zpse92ec514.jpg

RS_zps42bf39a7.jpg

BOLT_zps374a03ee.jpg

MAG_zpsadf7cedd.jpg

FS_zps774ba3ab.jpg
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The book Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms by Bob Brownell lists a Model 80, 80E, 80C and 80DL. None are described as a takedown model but the parts breakdown shows a takedown screw. The instruction for disassembly mentions loosening the takedown screw. It appears that all models have the takedown screw and could be considered takedown models.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a take apart, separating the entire barreled action and the stock, as opposed to a take down that in general separates a stocked receiver from the barrel, with or without a for-end.
    Think Winchester 1892 take down, or Ruger 10-22 take down.
    There are of course variations and the mod. 80 is one of those, technically not a take down IMHO.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    He says the bore is "fair" & the magazine is a newer replacement. He's currently asking $125 shipped for it. Is that to high, fair or a good deal in this condition? Thanks