.

MAS 36?

D@D[email protected] Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a question about this "sporterized" MAS 36. Would not having the bayonet tube affect shooting it? I'm assuming no but it can't hurt to ask.

mas36SP_zps3d7258d1.jpg

Comments

  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should shoot fine.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAS-36_rifle

    added It will be loud. I don't think 2 piece stocks shoot as well as one piece but the proof will be found on the paper. Should be an excellent truck gun.

    I think it was Century that butchered some to 308.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears to me, then way more then the bayonet tube has been removed. Everything from the lower band forward has been removed. Besides a new front sight being fabricated.

    Wouldn't surprise me if this wouldn't affect accuracy. Specially if the forearm that was secured by the lower band and front sight mounting is loose.



    EDIT #1,

    OK for a truck gun, to be carried a lot but shot seldom. I've had a number of short barreled, high powered rifles over the years. Barrels ranging from 18 to 20 inches. Always got rid of them. Nasty guns to shoot. Muzzle blast/flash from short barrels, was beyond ugly.
  • D@D[email protected] Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Should shoot fine.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAS-36_rifle


    I thought so, but like I said can't hurt to ask. What type of blast do you think it will have being it has an 18" barrel instead of the 22.6"? Ought to make for a good truck/pig gun I would think. Thanks bud.
  • D@D[email protected] Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It appears to me, then way more then the bayonet tube has been removed. Everything from the lower band forward has been removed. Besides a new front sight being fabricated.

    Wouldn't surprise me if this wouldn't affect accuracy. Specially if the forearm that was secured by the lower band and front sight mounting is loose.


    Might make a good candidate to re chamber to 308? What do you think?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by [email protected]
    Originally posted by rufe-snow

    Might make a good candidate to re chamber to 308? What do you think?



    In the condition it's now. I wouldn't put any time or money in it. If it shoots OK at short range? Keep it as a truck gun for emergencies. Trying to fix it up and rechambering to .308, you would be just pissing your money away, IMHO.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.5 French cartridge of the MAS 36 rifle is already LONGER than the .308 Win., by 3mm. Would have to cut off barrel at the breach end and rethread before re-chambering to .308; not sure the enlarged breach diameter at the chamber end of the MAS 36 barrel is long enough for doing that.

    I've had one of these sporterized MAS 36 rifles since the '60s; never shot it; think they were made up by Golden State Arms, or Santa Fe.
  • SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was Santa Fe, I think.

    I am also pretty sure the sights are stock so it might have a different POI than what it was sighted in for because of the modifications.

    Plus, who makes a 139gr 30 cal hunting bullet anymore, such as the gun was sighted in for? (edited for clarity)

    Why not shoot it and find out?
  • D@D[email protected] Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SoreShoulder
    It was Santa Fe, I think.

    I am also pretty sure the sights are stock so it might have a different POI than what it was sighted in for because of the modifications.

    Plus, who makes a 139gr 30 cal bullet anymore, such as the gun was sighted in for?

    Why not shoot it and find out?


    If I do get it I will see how it shoots as is. Prvi Partizan is making 139gr fmj rounds now and it is reloadable brass.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I have one just like this one and like Rufe says, shooting it is not a real fun thing! Good truck gun, last ditch defense if needed but it is both light and handy. The French 7.5 gets no respect but the round does a fine job IMO. Not having the puny bayonet tube doesn't affect mine one bit.
Sign In or Register to comment.