In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mosin nagant rear sight #'s highlighted?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I bought a few MN's 91/30's from Classic Arms & 1 came with the rear sight #'s highlighted in red. Did classic arms do it or is it more likely done when the rifle was rearsenaled? Any reason why they would do
it other than for better picture's?

MN1932RS3_zps468ece49.jpg

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    I bought a few MN's 91/30's from Classic Arms & 1 came with the rear sight #'s highlighted in red. Did classic arms do it or is it more likely done when the rifle was rearsenaled? Any reason why they would do
    it other than for better picture's?

MN1932RS3_zps468ece49.jpg

Doubt Classic Arms did that. They literally sell these rifles by the crate-load, and most are not highlighted in the way you describe.

Apart from making a nicer photograph, one other potential reason to highlight the ladder markings this way is just to make them easier to see in use (ie in low light conditions).

Some of the re-arsenalled guns do come in this way, so that's probably your explanation. No. . .this probably doesn't increase the rifle's value, except maybe as a conversation piece! [:p]

Edit: I've never heard the "poison paint" rumor, but I wouldn't entirely discount the (admittedly remote and fairly implausible) possibility that an otherwise unidentified orange/red paint from a Commie Bloc country is Cadmium-based and therefore toxic.

So don't lick the paint. [:p]
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh Nooo! Not the dreaded poisonous red paint![:D]
    Like beantown said, there are some that were imported like this, and so far no one has a credible source or the reason why it was done.
    Of course that spawned an internet rumor that it was poison paint, (who knows?) that persisted for a couple of years.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Oh Nooo! Not the dreaded poisonous red paint![:D]
    Like beantown said, there are some that were imported like this, and so far no one has a credible source or the reason why it was done.
    Of course that spawned an internet rumor that it was poison paint, (who knows?) that persisted for a couple of years.

HAHAHA Thats the first I've heard of it being potentially poisonous. I know a few guys who would actually believe that. I'll have to have some fun with them.[:p][;)]
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine is the same way, including the SN on the receiver. Also purchased from Classic (Fire)Arms.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    mine is the same way, including the SN on the receiver. Also purchased from Classic (Fire)Arms.

I've got a '39 Tula that came the same way, purchased from Dunham's Sports.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Most milsurps I've bought have nothing on them; some are filled in in red as you see here, some in white; usually from Com bloc countries. I suspect also that there was no particular reason for it, other than it was part of the re-arsenal process; though the importer may have done it. I believe Classic is a distributor, the importer may have colored in one in 20 or one in 100 or something for photographic purposes.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White, red, and orange paint have been seen. Guys that work at the importers say they find them like that when they open the crates.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    White, red, and orange paint have been seen. Guys that work at the importers say they find them like that when they open the crates.
    I've seen white as well.