Mossberg 500 / Maverick 88 ???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Is a Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 the same as a Mossberg 500?

Specifically will a Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 stock fit a Mossberg 500 shotgun?

Thanks

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    Every thing inter changes except for the trigger groups.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 13,137
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Is a Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 the same as a Mossberg 500?

Not exactly, but its pretty close.

Its a Mossberg designed gun built in Mexico to save costs and compete with the cheap imports.

As mentioned above there is some slight design difference (eg the safety is different), but many parts will interchange.

quote:Specifically will a Maverick 88 Mossberg 500 stock fit a Mossberg 500 shotgun?
    Yes. Stocks are interchangeable here.

All I want is a cheap plastic stock for mine. It's a persuader now, and I want to take the pistol grip off.

It's cool and all, but when you get right down to it, you have to aim it the same way to hit anything so with 3" 00 Buck, a shoulder stock would be better.

Personally, I've never seen the attraction of those wrist-breaking pistol grip only "stocks". I guess they're OK for use in a small room where space is a premium, and you really can just point it from your hip with some chance of connecting. But even there, I think you're better off with some sort of folding design so that you have the ability to aim it, if you need to.

FWIW, I've seen OEM takeoff plastic and even wood Mossberg 500 stocks on the "E" auction site for as little as $20 shipped.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. I figgered as much.

I figgered the stock would fit, but there must have been something about the Maverick which made it cheaper.

All I want is a cheap plastic stock for mine. It's a persuader now, and I want to take the pistol grip off.

It's cool and all, but when you get right down to it, you have to aim it the same way to hit anything so with 3" 00 Buck, a shoulder stock would be better.

Thanks again.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to think they were assembled in El Paso, Texas but actually they are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas from parts made in Mexico and possibly elsewhere. Eagle Pass and El Paso are both border cities. Anyone have first hand knowledge where in Eagle Pass they are assembled or where the parts are manufactured?
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. I figgered as much.

I figgered the stock would fit, but there must have been something about the Maverick which made it cheaper.

Thanks again.

Same gun all but the trigger group is correct. I have bought new stocks auction side for $35 dollars. Vic Havlin might have some cheaper.