In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin Camp 9

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
Just a quick shot from a few people that own or have owned one......

Good shooter? Reliable? Fun? Expensive parts?

tia for any info.

"Tell me, why is it that I should trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away....? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights..."

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a "used" 9mm. Got it to the house and shot it 4 times. After that the trigger would not pull to disengage the hammer. It is like it on on safety with the safety on "fire" position. Has anyone has this problm before and can guide me thru to fix it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just broke the recoil buffer and found the Strut Bridge was broken. I would like to replace the recoil spring with a 16# sping. Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find these items? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When were the Marlin camp 9's made. Serial numbers to what?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you know when the buffer needs to be replaced? Is this a do it yourself job?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking to add a Camp 9. I know squat about them and was hoping to gain some knowledge here.

I do know they were discontinued. Was it because of any reliability issues or is there something I should be on the look-out for?

Any particulars ya'll would care to share would be appreciated.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    How do you know when the buffer needs to be replaced? Is this a do it yourself job?

It will be broken -- usually into pieces. Yes, it just "snaps" into place.

I know some have claimed there is some "reputation" for the buffers to break up on the Marlin Camp Carbines. I'm guessing there may have been just a poor run of buffers at some point in the production that led to that reputation. I never had a problem with my buffer and it was quite a few year old when I sold the gun. I did keep a replacement buffer "just in case."
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen one where the buffer pretty much dissolved, gumming up the action.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Camp 9 a few years back and when shooting it for the first time small fragments of hardened buffer came out of the thing - may have discovered that while I was cleaning it. It's definitely a "do it yourself" project, so long as you can take the thing apart and reassemble. Reassembly is a bit of a PITA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I bought one from brownells yesterday.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    Thanks for the information. I bought one from brownells yesterday.

Have all the required tools and reassembly instructions at hand. Before disassembly. Take DFletchers advice to heart. I had one in 45 ACP years ago. Marlin definitely didn't design it to be user friendly. For the average kitchen table hobbyist.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like many "polymers" it is not a good idea to get any gun scrubber or other very aggressive cleaning agent on it, or it may dissolve or otherwise "change" and become very brittle or soft.