In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 1894 half oct-half round

dane62dane62 Member Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
did winchester make any short rifles with this barrel,with an 8 3/8 forearm?i have seen 22" barrel,half oct,with 9 3/8 forearm. also is octagon part always 11",no matter what total barrel length is? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, the survey that was conducted on the 353,999 surviving factory warehouse records did not include any statistics for the number of 1/2 octagon barrels. Additionally, the records do not contain any information concerning forend stock lengths.

Winchester did manufacture "Short" rifles with 1/2 octagon barrels. Whether or not any were made with a short forend stock is unknown, but I suspect not. That said, the shortest one that I have seen (verified) had an 18-inch barrel, and a 9-3/8" forend stock. The length of the octagon section of the barrel appears to have remained constant throughout production, but may have varied a small amount.
  • Options
    dane62dane62 Member Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just ran across this old post about Short Rifles, 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon, and may be able to add some information about the forends.
    I have a Winchester 1894 Rifle, Cody certified: 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon, SN 326,XXX (1906.) The fore end is 8 & 3/8, so it is the shorter forend. The Octagon part of the barrel is 10 & 5/8 and the round part is 9 & 3/8, total length 20".
    I am repairing another 22" short rifle that has the short 8 & 3/8 in. for end. This one is a full octagon. And I have had a 20" full octagon that had the short forend.