In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muzzle energy

ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
600 gr projectile at muzzle velocity of 1500 fps would = what muzzle energy? Anybody? Anybody? Beuhler? Beuhler?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ndbilly,

2997 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

Best.
  • Options
    brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can calcolate th kietik energy by:
    e = 0.5 x mass x velocity (squared)
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The following is a simple formula you can perform using hand calculations and it doesn't require a computer or ballistics program. It will give approximately the same result as the more complex finite element equations. The formula below is good to use so you can calculate it yourself if you decide to change the parameters:

ME = 0.50 x ((Wb/7000)/32.2) x (Vb^2)

Where:

ME = Muzzle energy, ft/lbs
    Wb = Weight of bullet, grains
    7000 = Conversion factor, grains in 1 pound
    32.2 = Acceleration due to gravity, ft/sec/sec
    Vb^2 = Velocity of bullet squared

Therefore, the above equation contains the proper conversion terms to complete the calculation and reflects the classic equation:

E = 0.50 x MV^2

Therefore, the muzzle energy according to the above equation equals 2994.68 ft/lbs of energy which is approximately the same result given by Nononesense.

The results for some of these Newtonian equations will vary slightly because of the conversion factors used in the equations. For example, I can tell that the program used by Nononesense used 32.2 ft/sec/sec for the acceleration due to gravity. Some authorities are now saying 32.4 ft/sec/sec is the "more correct" value which would lower the ME to approximately 2976 ft/lbs. However, in the real world this doesn't matter because it is a trivial difference.

Hope this helps.

Heavyiron
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A reduced and simplified form of the above formula:

ME = [(velocity x velocity) x weight of bullet in grains] divided by the constant 450,400

This will give you a good approximation of the kinetic energy in foot pounds, at any range, so long as you know the velocity.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting replies to a question. Nononsense gives asked-for answer. Some give procedures. Like question: How to put out a small fire? One: bucket of water. Others: Call fire department; or instructions how-to build DIY fire extinguisher; or put on asbestos coveralls, or, or, etc. Cheers!
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    Interesting replies to a question. Nononsense gives asked-for answer. Some give procedures. Like question: How to put out a small fire? One: bucket of water. Others: Call fire department; or instructions how-to build DIY fire extinguisher; or put on asbestos coveralls, or, or, etc. Cheers!

I've always like nononsense's candor [^]!
  • Options
    brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    give a man a fish and he won't be hungry for a day
    teach him how to fish annd hell never be hungry again.
    With the formula he can calculate his energy for every future bullet.