In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1886 antique question

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108361428

Would a rifle over a hundred years old still maintain reasonably bright case coloring on the receiver?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello I hope Bert H will post a reply . On one hand it looks original with some areas washed out from what can be normal wear but other areas look almost TOO vivid. If it has been refinished then the seller is good at faking condition.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, a 100+ year old gun can retain that much case color (I own several 1885s that are in similar condition).

My opinion is that the Model 1886 in question is factory original, and it has not been messed with, other than it most likely had a factory installed tang sight that has been removed.

The key to protecting original case colors, is too keep the steel surfaces very clean, especially after handling.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As Bert indicates it depends on the conditions under which the gun was used and kept. It appears that the rifle had a tang sight at one time that protected an area of the upper tang, so that would explain the vivid case colors there and the lever would protect the colors on the lower tang.

Here is a picture of one of my Colt Single Actions that is 106 years old and it has almost all of the vidid Case Colors remaining.

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the replies!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    As Bert indicates it depends on the conditions under which the gun was used and kept. It appears that the rifle had a tang sight at one time that protected an area of the upper tang, so that would explain the vivid case colors there and the lever would protect the colors on the lower tang.

Here is a picture of one of my Colt Single Actions that is 106 years old and it has almost all of the vidid Case Colors remaining.

CSAA1902-2.jpg

Old Colts,

That is a very nice specimen...very nice indeed. You should feel blessed to have one like that.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Old Colts,

That is a very nice specimen...very nice indeed. You should feel blessed to have one like that.Thank you; and yes I feel very fortunate that I was able to find and acquire this Single Action. As mentioned, in order for a firearm with case colored metal finish to survive for 100+ years and still retain a high percentage of original vivid case color finish the firearm would have to have been properly taken care of over the years. This Colt saw some light use, but it would be my guess that it spent the majority of its life tucked away in a drawer, clean, and out of direct sunlight.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    !00 year old color case? You bet. Up until a few years ago I had a
    Parker shotgun that had been stored in a soft case and seldom if ever used...and it looked the part, colors and all.