In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

advice about new seller

scarybarryscarybarry Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Gentlemen,
Howdy from Texas! I hope all are well. I was wondering what I should watch out for when dealing with a person on GunBroker that is a NEW seller. Is there any way to tell if a person is on the up and up or not? I hate to distrust anyone, but worry about sending hard earned funds to someone and never hearing from them again. Any suggestions? Much Obliged! Barry Lafferty

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    someone has to be the joker in the box[:o)]..all sellers started from 0[?]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick up the phone and give 'em a call.
    As a seller I figure that the person sending me money without the product in hand is taking the same risk that I take when I ship before receiving payment. Either of us can get burned.
    If someone has an A+ rating over 10 or more transactions, I ship immediately and haven't been burned yet. (except on the occasional firearms auction) With no rating or negative feedbacks, I wait for the "check to clear" before sending.
    0 to 10 feedbacks is a judgement call. If not much $$ is in play, I'll go ahead and ship. Large items, I wait, but if someone called me I'd feel confident in making a decision based on that call.
    Some risk, yeah, but more fun this way.
    Good luck,
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Pick up the phone and give 'em a call.
    As a seller I figure that the person sending me money without the product in hand is taking the same risk that I take when I ship before receiving payment. Either of us can get burned.
    If someone has an A+ rating over 10 or more transactions, I ship immediately and haven't been burned yet. (except on the occasional firearms auction) With no rating or negative feedbacks, I wait for the "check to clear" before sending.
    0 to 10 feedbacks is a judgement call. If not much $$ is in play, I'll go ahead and ship. Large items, I wait, but if someone called me I'd feel confident in making a decision based on that call.
    Some risk, yeah, but more fun this way.
    Good luck,

I have shipped many small items before receiving payment, you can get a feel for a person by their commmunications at close of auction.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scarybarry,

Everybody starts at the beginning at some point in time, it's automatic. If you don't want to trust someone that is a new seller, you shouldn't bid, it's that simple. If you bid and won an auction by a new seller, send the money or take the penalty of defaulting. This is not hard.

Best.