In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ar15 clarification

skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at an Ar15 that has what I like. Collapsable stock , forward assist,etc.Beautiful rifle.
I'm wondering if it was made before 1994. The gun is nib.Colts not making Ar15's again are they ? I did a search here and read that if it is stamped AR15 then it is a pre-ban. I looked at serials at AR14.com and Biggerhammer. Still no idea.

The AR is marked "Ar-15 A2 Govt carbine ser LGC 041XXX "

any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The information I have shows that all of the Preban Colt serial numbers started with TWO letters like "LH". The contact I have is several years old but you might try contacting Colt and talking to Randy. (203)236-6311. Just to be sure.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skychaser53
    I'm looking at an Ar15 that has what I like. Collapsable stock , forward assist,etc.Beautiful rifle.
    I'm wondering if it was made before 1994. The gun is nib.Colts not making Ar15's again are they ? I did a search here and read that if it is stamped AR15 then it is a pre-ban. I looked at serials at AR14.com and Biggerhammer. Still no idea.

Colt is still making AR15 guns. They never stopped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks BHAVIN, I'll give him a call if I can't find out.

Wehrmacht_45,According to numerous people at gunbroker, Somewhere around 1994 Colt quit producing the AR15. Colt produced rifles that looked like an AR15, but weren't stamped AR15. They sell rifles that are stamped Sporter, HBAR,Govt. etc, but none of those guns are stamped AR15.
    That is why I asked if they are making the AR15 again.

That's why I'm trying to verify the date of manufacture. I don't want tp pay a PREMIUM price for a Colt made last year, when I desire one made before 1994 :o)

thanks
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    thanks BHAVIN, I'll give him a call if I can't find out.

Wehrmacht_45,According to numerous people at gunbroker, Somewhere around 1994 Colt quit producing the AR15. Colt produced rifles that looked like an AR15, but weren't stamped AR15. They sell rifles that are stamped Sporter, HBAR,Govt. etc, but none of those gones are stamed AR15.
    That is why I asked if they are making the AR15 again.

That's why I'm trying to verify the date of manufacture.

thanks

Oh I see. Its the same gun with different markings. The civilian colts today are not an AR15 model, they have different names, and have no bayo lug or flash hider. The AR15 is still a model designation for their new military and LEO rifles.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that series came out AFTER the 1994 ban... is it marked "for LE only" anywhere?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vicg1
    I'm pretty sure that series came out AFTER the 1994 ban... is it marked "for LE only" anywhere?

vicg1
    marked restricted milatry,Govt Law enforcement , export only

baloney, I think Colt is producing the gun right now pfft !
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-AR6520BF.html
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad has owned a colt sporter for about 15 years or so. it says both ar-15 and colt sporter on its side. it also has the "bird cage" on the end of the barrel along with the bayonet lug. hope this helps. best
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number perfix:
    BD AR15A3 Tactical Carbine 6721
    CC Colt Carbine R6520
    CH Competition HBAR 6700
    GC Government Carbine 6520
    GS Governmodel Model Service 6550
    MH Match HBAR 6601
    ML Match Lightweight R6530
    MT Match Target
    SP Sporter SP1 or SP2
    ST Sporter Target 6551
    TA 9mm 6450 6430

Don't get so hung up on this pre ban/post ban stuff. Go to the Colt internet and look at them. The Colts are VERY hard to find and pricey but they are out there. Other people make nice AR's too. I have two Stags that work just fine. Run them both very wet, use Castroil 5W-50W. Learned this from a tactical weapons expert. And if you don't like the idea, just forget I brought it up. It works good for me.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1

skychaser53,

I am not sure what you are referring to as pre-ban, but in your state...Ohio, you can have anything(I believe even a real select fire one too). After the ban sunset in 2004, it opened back up in most states for anything..collapsable stocks, bayo lugh, flash hider, ect... You are not required to have a pre ban, unless you are looking for something marked "AR-15". Those still carry a premium, as they are still sought after in states like mine...New York.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks everyone for their help. It seems clear to me now that Colt in 1994 quit stamping AR15 on their rifles, EXCEPT for the Law enforcement and Govt models. I was wanting a marked AR15 made before 1994 because,like all special Colts they will eventually carry a higher and higher price down the road. I will shoot it lol.

thanks again
    skychaser
  • Options
    WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have just finished going through my paperwork

It is a PostBan carbine which at this point means it is legal for any US civilian in a non ban state.

WG